Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help with this luger. 1920 DWM ser#4323
Has all matching numbers with two magazines, 9mm with stock lug, walnut grips without a border, thumb safty GESICHERT, marking on grip strap S. Hn. 11. 9.118, barrel marking 4323b 3,82, Extractor GELADEN, magazine plug 4323 2 *-s.

What is value? What unit use it?

The man I got it from said he took it off a German trooper in Sirlano Italy.

Any information will be a great help.

Thank You

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
Hello Robert, welcome to the forum! Can you provide a lot of pictures, both sides, etc?

This link talks about another S.Hn. pistol, which is a Weimar era police gun. http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=675&SearchTerms=S.Hn.

These are what I primarily collect, and assume this is a police pistol. Value can be anywhere from $450-$1300, all depending on condition, originality etc.

The 3,82 would actually be 8,82 which is the land-to-land measurement of the barrel on the inside.

The 4323 with a number two means it is a matching police mag, spare magazine.

Ed

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,500 Posts
Robert,

Like Ed, I am also interested in these pistols, especially in the unit marks on the grip strap. I would add to Ed's photo request one of the grip strap mark.

There are a number of pistols that have the abbreviation S.Hn. on the front grip strap which I believe to be early (pre-1922) marks for the Schutzpolizei, Sicherheitspolizei or Schutsmannschaft (different names for the municipal police) of Hannover. Many of these have matching magazines that have the unit mark with the abbreviation S.H. on their spines (the narrow part of the body of the mag). Please check your mags to see if they have such a mark. I believe the mags were marked later, after the 1922 marking regulations standardized the abbreviations.

I also suspect that the Arabic number 11. you have listed is really the Roman numeral II.

Since it was acquired from a German trooper in Italy, it will be particularly interesting to know if it has sear and/or mag safeties. This will help determine whether it was transferred from the police to the army before or after 1933. A good photo of the left side of the gun will reveal this. If you aren't familiar with these devices and can't post photos, I'm sure Ed will be willing to post a photo showing what I'm talking about (OK, Ed?).

P.S. You beat me to the punch with the photos!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both mags. have S.H. II. 9.118. on their spines. The plugs have 4323 1 *s (the s is below the *)
The markings in the grip strap are the same the mags, with one difference that being a small n after the H.( S.Hn.II.9.118.)

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
It is definately a police gun, or was! Interesting, it has the sear safety which was placed into service AFTER 1933, so at some point either the gun or the soldier and gun was transfered to Italy. Although sometimes guys get confused, they picked up one luger in an area, lost it, traded it or sold it and got another one a while later.

The magazine bottoms make it interesting, as it is a 2-magazine matching gun. Did it come with a holster? Odd to be handed a gun and extra mag?

2 matching mags are rare with army guns, less rare with police, but not common.

The *S is called a Starburst or Sunburst S, there are also starburst K's and others.

Looks in nice shape from the above angle shot of the luger. Do you collect them, or just came across this one?

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The holster got lost during a move, or so the guy says. I am a retired Marine, so this friend of the family ask me if I would like to have it. Of course I said yes, So he gave it to me.

Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don,
The mark is very linear with the S being about one inch from the bottom of the grip and the 118. stopping about one inch from the trigger guard

Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don,
I want to thank you for interest and sharing your knowledge with me. While I do not want to sell the pistol I would like to know its value. What is your educated guess?

Again Thanks a bunch
Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.