Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the lack of photos, but don't have the capability right now. Just became owner of a 1920 chamber dated 9mm DWM s/n 2203a. All the numbers match, it has about 90-95% rust blue remaining with just some honest side palte and muzzle wear, beechwood grips and a sear safety. The right side receiver proofs are 3 of those post WW1 eagles with "AYA4" below them that Costanzo identifies as Weimar police proofs. Same proof on the barrel. Magazine is serial numbered to the gun and also has the same marking on the spine that is found on the front grip strap of the gun; S.Hn.11.
I believe that grip marking to mean Schutzpolizei, Hanover, pistol number "11". Does that interpretation make sense to you folks? Not too sure of the rarity of this piece, but the condition, matching magazine and unit marking probably take it out of the ordinary. Comments? Thx, Lyn

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Lyn
S.Hn.11. signifies: Schutzpolizei Hn. weapom no. 11. The Hn is not on the Prussian State Police district list. H signifies Hannover and Hi signifies Hildesheim. Could it be one of these instead?

Your 1920 dated, DWM, serial number 2203a, is a Dated Alphabet DWM Police Luger. These bear Weimar Reichswehr stamps, AYA4, on the right reciever and were manufactured by DWM in 1920. These Lugers are found in the ns, "a",and "b" serial range and about 25,000 dated 1920 were manufactured. It is described on page 15, 30, 139,and 140 of Weimar Lugers. These are interesting Lugers and when you can please supply photographs.
Jan

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jan,
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I took some time last night to surf in depth through "Weimar Lugers" and came to pretty much similar conclusions you have. I did however find it interesting that one of your Moderators, "Weimar Police" described in the post just previous to mine a 1921 Police gun with almost the same grip strap marking. The "S. Hn." unit marking is now identified to at least 2 weapons. I also found it interesting to note that at least 2 references in Weimar Lugers, on pages 46 and 125 pictured a police rework with a "Circled S" on the left side of the receiver. In both cases this marking was stated to be unidentified. I recently found myself owning another 1920 chamber dated DWM, this a Weimar rework 9mm with the same "circled S" on the left receiver and would like to know if more information concerning this marking has since been uncovered.
Thx, Lyn

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
Lyn, I saw that posting and was very interested in what you said. In fact, another 1921 has the S.Hn like you said. I would like to see pictures of yours? Can you digitally include some or scan them in on a flatbed scanner?

:)

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.