Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm a new member who inherited few guns from an uncle. Two of which are lugers. I have included some pics of one of them hoping for some help on ID, marking meanings, and estimated value. When I have time I will probably do the same for the other luger. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Interesting gun and hopefully some others come along to shed more light and knowledge than I can share.

It started as a commercial gun, crown/N is still visible on the upper receiver and the sideplate as well as the locking bolt have commercial number markings on the underside, albeit two different numbers. Somewhere along the line the side plate and upper receiver were numbered in the military style. Seems to also have marking of a police magazine safety. Probable police re-work gun. For more info and a value estimate, I would wait on Ed Tinker or another Weimar Police Luger expert to comment.

·
Administrator
13,361 Posts
What I see is a 1920 - need to look closer, but I think a date and not gov't property stamp, made by DWM and sold as a commercial to the police.
It has a mismatched sideplate - other small parts should have the last two of the serial number.

The LPTh ones are cool
Thuringia unit marks have both the Nr at the end and no Nr
L.P.Th.xxx

Landespolizei Thuringia (weapon number) xxx

Before the Great War the region of Thuringia was made up of a number of independent principalities and duchies. After the war these polities were assembled into the single state of Thuringia.
Unit markings on P08 grip straps from the state of Thuringia represent the Landespolizei, which was formed in 1921. The urban and rural police organizations were later combined into an undifferentiated Schutzpolizei, but the unit marking format was unchanged.
Magazine bases from the Thuringia Schutzpolizei are commonly found stamped with L.P.Th. and the weapon’s serial number.
I'll have to look and see if I have this one in my database. I like these police lugers, stupidity sold my LPTh luger
Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your input. This gets me pointed in the right direction to do some research on the history behind the gun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts