Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This particular luger has been on this forum, and I bought it from one of the members. It is a 1920 (Reichswehr property marked) pistol, more than likely a rework of an imperial pistol. Its serial number has a suffix "k" which means that it could have been made in 1915, 1916, 1917 or 1918.

Download Attachment: 1920_top_3.jpg
21.21 KB

Download Attachment: 1920_receiver_right.jpg
22.12 KB

Download Attachment: 1920_left_side.jpg
118.25 KB

Download Attachment: 1920_rightside2.jpg
146.3 KB

The most interesting thing about it (besides it fitting into an empty spot in my collection!) is the circle S on the left side. There has been discussion of the circle S on this forum.

Another interesting item about my limited research is that I have found three Weimar circle S guns in Weimar Lugers by Jan Still, found another on Brocks firearms website, and the three here on this forum and appear to be 1915 or 1916 then weimar reworks.

Download Attachment: Circle S gathering.jpg
81.9 KB

Some of the circles are a full circle and some are 3/4. The thing I find odd is that if the 3/4 is a mistake, then wouldn't you find some 3/4, some 1/2, etc?

Also, another interesting fact is that it appears many of these guns are weimar police and also started as 1915 or 1916 DWM's?

Download Attachment: 1920_circle_S.jpg
23.51 KB

Download Attachment: 1920_grips_inside.jpg
58.15 KB

Here is a unit property marking on the rear:

Download Attachment: 1920_rear_marking1.jpg
27.13 KB

The sideplate and toggle has the entire 4 digit of the serial number. I have read for dutch guns (not that I beleive this is remotely dutch), that dutch guns in a unit may have the 3rd number stamped if there was a weapon in the armory with the same last two of the serial number.
Download Attachment: 1920_circle_S.jpg
23.51 KB

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Peter, that is unknown right now by the collectors I have talked to. It is guessed that is what it is, but I have my doubts.

The doubts could also be turned as possible reasons they are reworks;

1. Simson didn't start making lugers until mid 20's (although they were in existence and it is possible that they were chosen to rework guns).

2. The limited set I have seen are almost all police and imperial reworks.

An interesting enough marking that I am interested in it...

Ed

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Ed
Interesting Luger and research.

You found that there is a pattern to the circle S: most are dated 1915 or 1916. Any guess as to why?

"The thing I find odd is that if the 3/4 is a mistake, then wouldn't you find some 3/4, some 1/2, etc?" I must have missed something, is someone suggesting a mistake?
Jan

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jan, I find it odd that some of the circles are a complete circle, some just 3/4.

Everyone I talk to says it is just a mistake. I don't have a problem with that, except, if a mistake, then wouldn't a stamp, done by hand, be half off the edge at times, instead of either 3/4 and full? My SWAG is that it is a stamp purposely a full circle at one time, and then 3/4, maybe a broken die. But this is a weak SWAG, and I am unsure how much merit it holds.

I will research this a bit closer, look at the ones on the site and see what the proofs and other marks look like.

I am guessing that they belonged to a unit that turned over their weapons to the police after the war, or became police after wars end deativation.

Ed

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,534 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Ron Smith

Ed, I'll take it! I would think that the 3/4 circle is due to the die overlapping the flute (bevel) on the receiver. And the different sized dies used. Neat Luger!
Ron
Fellows, Ron's answer to the three-quarter circle seems to me to be the obvious answer to why it exists. Is he missing something? Am I missing something? Stamp a circle over the edge of any object and you will get a semicircle.

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I am simply missing the obvious. My point was that why was it stamped there? I had initially thought maybe the stamp was different but on reflection, probably not, so I will drop the point.

Appears to be a hurried stamping to me? They didn't seem to care if it was fully stamped, and then, maybe all they cared about was the "S"...

Ed

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Ed,

One of the constant things about the circle stamp is that it is applied so as not to overstamp the serial number. It may be not so much a mistake as the most of the circle which can be stamped (intersecting the receiver bevel, as Ron says), without obliterating part of the number.

--Dwight

G

·
hey guys im back after a bit of comp problemsdont know if this is any help i have a 1918/1920 erfurt with a circle s although it has been buffed<long ago and once again recently> #9528 no letterblock it would seem that the circle was incomplete it is however in a slightly different place than the pics posted as it is on the bevel<few mm above the one shown>-mack

G

·
yes i will put some pice up late tonite.im still very new to lugars but im learnin alot from here.basically i know nothing really about this guy other than its mostly matched been chrome and nickle plated which is now strippedbut it was very very cheaply aquired from a vets widow.now i need to get lookin for a nice one but this sure is a good shooter

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Circle S and a Persian... Does the Circle S mean they were for the department for special requests, i.e. export for the Persian aspect and the police for something away from the regular army line??

·
Administrator
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don, that is a possiblity I hadn't thought of, but then you would see a lot more Circle S stamps. Unless of course it was a certain district and that was convienent to do both at once, federal rules and local rules...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.