Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1920 Navy Type commercial Luger that has been expertly refinished many years ago. I bought this Luger in the early '60's for about $100 as I remember. The straw colors are very bright on all the correct parts and the blue finish shows very little ware. There is a crown over N proof mark on the right side of the receiver just ahead of the cover plate and the stamp "Germany" is on the left side of the receiver. The mag. has a wooden bottom . The two position rear sight is stamped with the 100 & 200 meter settings and the fromt sight is mounted on the 6" unnumbered barrel on a tall platform.. The center toggle link is stamped with DWM logo.
I have fired this Luger with commercial ammo at an old shot up propane bottle at 100 yds. with 100 meter setting of the rear sight . With the rear sight set at 200 meter setting the bottle set at 150 yds. can be hit without too many misses. These shots were made with the aid of an original Artillary Luger shoulder stock attached. The old Luger is a pretty accurate gun. Below are some photos of the Luger.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hello, and nice looking refinished Navy shooter! I do just want to make you aware that if you want to affix a stock to your Navy, you need a correct Navy style stock. Attaching an artillery stock to a Navy pistol, a navy stock to an artillery pistol, or any stock to a short barreled Luger (with a few very rare exceptions) is constructing an illegal SBR.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HerrKaiser ---- Thanks for your comments above and your advise on the use of luger stocks. The original Art. stock i used was only used once to check the accuracy of the commercial Navy type piece for distant accuracy.. I removed the 1915 dated original Art. stock from the Navy type when my accuracy test was complete and put it back with the original 1917 dated Art. Luger. Yes, I was aware of the requirements for & between stocks at the time I conducted the shooting test. I have since bought a Navy style stock & holster that will be used for any future target work. I'm very happy with the Navy type luger and its accuracy. Thanks again for your remarks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Only a gov't bureaucracy could come up with a rule that says a Navy Luger is legal with a Navy stock and an Artillery Luger is legal with an Artillery stock, but if you swap them around, you're a felon.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
big ---- Thanks for your concern . I made the swap over a year ago and haven't done it again since then now that I currently have a "Navy type stock and holster". Besides who would give a hoot way out in the wilderness where I live anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, and nice looking refinished Navy shooter! I do just want to make you aware that if you want to affix a stock to your Navy, you need a correct Navy style stock. Attaching an artillery stock to a Navy pistol, a navy stock to an artillery pistol, or any stock to a short barreled Luger (with a few very rare exceptions) is constructing an illegal SBR.
Hello, reading this (If a person has a pistol and an attachable shoulder stock, does this constitute possession of an NFA firearm? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) FAQ section from the ATF is confusing me in regards to your comment. They make no mention of whether the luger is artillery or navy, they just mention the luger and c96 by itself. I’m wanting to put a repro stock on my regular luger but I’m trying to do research on the legalities beforehand.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I’m wanting to put a repro stock on my regular luger but I’m trying to do research on the legalities beforehand.
I take it that your "regular" Luger is a 4 inch model. If so, ANY stock attached to it is illegal. (There is one exception but it's unlikely that you have a Finn Luger).

Generally, only the Artillery and Navy models are legal with a stock and then they must be paired with the proper model stock; i.e., a Navy Luger must have a Navy stock and an Artillery Luger an Artillery stock.

There's debate about whether reproduction stocks of the proper type are legal and I won't opine on that.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Thank you for your response. Do you have any piece of legislation that makes that claim? Not doubting you at all, I just want to see the text for myself.
The following is from the ATF C&R List of guns that have been removed from NFA rules.

"Luger, 1920 Commercial Artillery Model, pistols mfd. by DWM or Erfurt, having undated chambers, commercial proofmarks, and bearing the inscription “Germany” or “Made in Germany” on the receiver and accompanied by original, German mfd., artillery-type, detachable wooden shoulder stocks.

Luger, Artillery Model, pistols having chamber dates of 1914 through 1918 or 1920, having German Weimar Navy markings consisting of the letter M over an anchor and a German Navy property number accompanied by original Artillery Luger flat board stocks, bearing German Weimar Navy markings of the letter M over an anchor with or without Navy property numbers.

Luger, DWM, original models 1904, 1906, 1908, 1914, and 1920, Naval pistols, cal.’s 9mm Parabellum or 7.65mm, in both the Commercial and Naval military varieties; in both altered and unaltered barrel lengths in the Model 1904 and in both altered and unaltered safety markings in the Model 1906; with original board-type detachable shoulder stocks bearing brass or iron discs, with or without markings, or, if without brass or iron discs, being of the Navy flat board-type. This exemption applies only to the listed Naval Luger pistols if mated to the Naval Luger stock and will not apply if the Naval Luger pistol is mated to the Artillery stock. The Naval stock has an overall dimension of 12-3/4", a rear width of 4-5/8", a front width of 1-1/2", a rear thickness of 9/16", and a front thickness of l-3/16"."

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doubs ------ In the first paragraph where it starts with " Luger 1920 .....", I have a commercial 1920 Navy Type luger that has no chamber date, has the commercial proof mark (crown over U) on the receiver, has the word "Germany" on the receiver, has a 6" barrel and a two position rear sight. I also have a repro Navy type stock with attaching iron and a repro Navy Type holster attached to the stock. Would I be legally allowed to attach my 1920's Navy Type luger to this stock ? Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Doubs ------ In the first paragraph where it starts with " Luger 1920 .....", I have a commercial 1920 Navy Type luger that has no chamber date, has the commercial proof mark (crown over U) on the receiver, has the word "Germany" on the receiver, has a 6" barrel and a two position rear sight. I also have a repro Navy type stock with attaching iron and a repro Navy Type holster attached to the stock. Would I be legally allowed to attach my 1920's Navy Type luger to this stock ? Thanks for your reply.
As in my first reply, that has been debated and I won't say yes or no because I don't know for certain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts