Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone....I need abit of help. A dealer I know has the above two Lugers. As I am almost totally unfamiliar with Luger quality/values how can I determine value on these ? In other words I don't want to pay more than they are worth. I believe they both have mags with the wooden grip. I haven't recorded the serial numbers so I can't give you those. I would say on an appearance scale of 1-10 I'd give them between a 7 & 7.5 (sounds like the Olympics). Original bluing, grips without chips or cracks. Primarily fair wear and tear. Each weapon being offered for sale in the $600.00 range. Your opinions please.

Dan G.

·
Administrator
13,817 Posts
Both prices are not bad, although your 7.0 rating would be, what? 70% blueing? That is fairly rough.

Original, non-reblue, no bad scratches or pits, all matching guns (no wrong parts, nothing not stamped that should be), are worth more than a shooter value of $400-$600. The 9mm is much more popular than the 7.65, simply because it can be readily shot, while the 7.65 is fairly expensive unless you reload.

But, as I have heard before, if you want it, is your pocket deep enough?

You can convince yourself that you want it so bad, that you pay too much, but then you also can hesitate and lose a good deal.

But, remember, better quality guns will always be worth more.

Ed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
quote:Originally posted by Weimar_Police

Both prices are not bad, although your 7.0 rating would be, what? 70% blueing? That is fairly rough.

Original, non-reblue, no bad scratches or pits, all matching guns (no wrong parts, nothing not stamped that should be), are worth more than a shooter value of $400-$600. The 9mm is much more popular than the 7.65, simply because it can be readily shot, while the 7.65 is fairly expensive unless you reload.

But, as I have heard before, if you want it, is your pocket deep enough?

You can convince yourself that you want it so bad, that you pay too much, but then you also can hesitate and lose a good deal.

But, remember, better quality guns will always be worth more.

Ed
Well Ed, my appearance scale is just my eyeballing observation. I'd say they're both 85% original blue. But, that is my recollection from just a cursory look 4-5 weeks ago. I may look at them again this coming Monday.

Dan G.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Dan,

Is the 1921 a chamber date?

Be sure to note the frame serial numbers, particularly the letter suffix if present. If the 1921 has a five-digit serial number it is uncommon. To be a proper 1929 the letter suffix should be s, t, or u. 1929 Commercials in 7.65 are equally uncommon (Still, "Weimar Lugers", pp13-15).

Take note of the proof marks on both guns, eagles or doves over a number, crown over an N; also which side of the receiver the marks are on. Note marks on the barrels as well. Pay attention to whether the serial numbers are stamped military-style (on the visible faces of the small parts) or Commercial style (stamped on the edges or otherwise hidden).

Note if either gun has a sear safety, a small piece of metal riveted to the left receiver which fits over the top of the side plate. Also note if there is a unit mark stamped on the front grip strap. Just for kicks, see if the safety is stamped Gesichert or Safe, and if the extractor is marked Geladen or Loaded.

Note the characteristics of the magazines, whether they are bent and folded steel or extruded, and what the bases are made of and any marks stamped thereon.

Photographs would be excellent.

Be sure to let us know the results of your observations. These could be very interesting Lugers.

--Dwight

1 - 4 of 4 Posts