Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1921 DWM chamber dated 9mm Luger. Serial #3500 "ns". Military style serial number placement and markings. 3-E/Ara4 stamps on right receiver, barrel and left breechblock. Also has sear safety, mag safety and police marked front grip strap. S.D.VI 449. (Schutzpolzei Dusseldorf).
Breechblock has the E/Ara4 proof and "00" on left side like normal but it also has a "25" stamped at rear of breechblock, right next to firing pin hole.
What is the purpose of the second number- 25? Is it suppose to match first 2 digits of serial number like on inside of sideplate? or ?

Are grips normally replaced at time mag safety is added, after 1933? If so, did they normally renumbered inside grips to match last 2 digits of the pistols serial number?

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Welcome Ken to the forum!

Can you provide pictures of everything, including full left and right?

The 25 (best guess) is a weapons number, you could have it in a rack and see the #, at least in the US Army we did it that way. I have one weimar police with the number on the rear toggle.

The grips, I am unsure about, if they needed replacing then yes I would imagine they would replace them and renumber them at that time.

Ed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Welcome.
The "25" number is located at rear of breechbock, next to firing pin hole, on the inside. It is not visible from outside the pistol. The toggle assembly must be removed from receiver to see it. I can only find one other of my Lugers that has a number stamped at that location. Its an undated commercial DWM, C/N proof, 30 cal, Serial # 5218i. Tables place the year of production also at 1921. It has a "29" stamped on rear of breechblock.

Download Attachment: breechblock1.JPG
91.3KB
I will try and attach some pictures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I showed this 1921 Luger to Tom Heller. I asked him about the mismatched number on rear of the breechblock. He tells me he has seen it before, although not mentioned in any books he's aware of. He believes it is a part number/assembly number. Nothing to do with serial number.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.