Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for the more knowledgeable collectors.
On Simpson's LTD. site is shown a DWM marked police luger with no chamber date (C40973). It does have a site notch cut. On the right side 3 C/S marks followed by eagle mark. All viewable numbers match. Is it most probable that someone just scrubbed the chamber date or is there some other explanation? I have gone through Jan Stills books and the Police Lugers book. And why is this luger priced so high. Is it just because of the intact magazine safety? I am still scratching my head. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim

·
Administrator
15,509 Posts
An intact safety is very rare, and have been faked, but by few folks, as its a weird and hard part to make.
98% bluing is another reason
It seems high to me but Simpson is always high, but trustworthy by most folks
What is that K marking on the top of the trigger?
Police are funny, some folks get into them and others don't. I have a 2 mag matching that I've tried to sell for a friend of mine, and since it has 2 matching mags, don't want to come down very much (2500) but to a non-police collector, they balk at paying 'that much'.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ed,
What do you think about the missing chamber date? I have been studying my books. With the notched receiver and the type of inspection marks presents would thinking it is a 1915 DWM artillery receiver used to build this pistol?

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Edward ---- I have a 100% matching numbered (including magazine and police holster) DWM luger with chamber date 1917. If you might care to see some photos of the piece and the numbered holster I'd be glad to post them on the Gunboards forum. The luger retains the sear safety and a remaining piece of the magazine safety.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Circumstantial evidence, and the different color of the top of he chamber, supports a chamber date being removed. The intact magazine safety brings a premium. The holster is pretty nice, and is full of extra magazine and tool--these factor into the price as well. C is Simpson's code for a consignment item, so the price is representative of the owner's expectations.

--Dwight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.