Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received this gun today and am very pleased because I did not have an opportunity to examine it before I bought it. Since it came from a trusted dealer I had no problem in looking it over for my inspection period. It is a pretty rare variation to find and a "keeper".

Mark

Download Attachment: Early KM Mauser 1934.jpg
168.34KB

·
Registered
833 Posts
Mark,

Another nice Kriegsmarine M1934 and a early one--you are finding some very nice specimens! As usual, very nice photographs and the Macro photo of the Kriegsmarine marking is wonderful. I just found a late Kriegsmarine 4th variation in the 624,xxx range this weekend at the Ventura Ca gun show. I will try to take some photos tomorrow and see what I can do with the Macro setting in terms of capturing and enlarging the Kriegsmarine marking. I know you have a nice digital camera and obviously the results "speak for themselves". I just recently bought a Fuji S7000 (had the earlier model Fuji S602 which I gave to my daughter) and seeing what the macro setting can do on the Kriegsmarine marking will be a good test. Quite a spread in terms of the serial numbers on our two Kriegsmarines. Let me tell you the fit and finish on this late one is everybit as nice as the early one I have. Well, congratulations on a "sight unseen" transaction--ain't it nice when those deals work out to your complete satisfaction. Best, Lloyd in Vegas

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lloyd and Jan,

Thanks for the complements on my early KM gun. The matched mag was a deal "maker" for this gun. The moment of truth was when I removed the side plate and gently took the white paint off of the marking to make sure it was right under a 10x loop!

I look forward to photographs of your new gun Lloyd, these KM marked Mausers are a pet interest of mine.

Mark

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John,

My #1 fear was that the marking would be blued over, a sure sign of a reblue. Some advanced collectors have told me that the Germans may have reblued some of these guns during the war but I prefer to see the marking as it was applied over the original finish.

Then I needed to see nice thick lines that are uniform as applied by the pantograph. If you ever see a gun with white paint in a rare marking at a gun show get permission to remove the paint to see it up close or walk away.

I also compared the marking to known original markings in Axis Pistols. The uniformity of the KM engraving as seen in my closeup tells all.

The serial number range and property number were my initial clues that this gun was correct. However, clever forgers are around who would mark up a rare gun to make it rarer.

Mark

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks Mark.
In addition, do you know of any distinguishing features characteristic of original KM engraving? I have heard that the original engraving has a rounded bottom, which difficult to reproduce. Is this valid?
John

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John,

I don't know what the "rounded bottom" refers to. Print out my photos of the original markings and keep them as a reference. I posted some other correct KM markings previously.

This should be a good start. The pantograph markings are hard to reproduce. I wish I had more access to pistols from other collectors to photograph the markings.

Mark

·
Registered
728 Posts
Mark. By rounded bottom, I mean that when looking at a cross section of the engraved cut, the bottom is U shaped .That is, the bottom of the cut is not flat and does not meet the walls of the cut at a 90 degree angle. I have heard that this profile is characteristic for KM engraving. I was curious if this was a valid criterion to use in evaluating originality of a KM engraving.
John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.