Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired this Mauser 1934 Kriegsmarine pistol, var. No 1 with a serial number of 532389

( and the appropriate markings of the last three digits of the serial number on the appropriate components),

and a marking of N 1162 on the front side of the grip as well as the magazine. It also came with a Mauser marked extra magazine with no additional numbers mark on it, as well as a brown leather holster (that is marked in ink on the inside but I can't make out the markings).

Can anyone here provide more information on this pistol as to when it was made, and approx. how many were made in this serial number sequence for the Kriegsmarine?

And is the holster original?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
swecan5,

Welcome to the forum. Your 1934 Mauser pocket model, KM 1st Var. was made in 1937. The second magazine is a replacement as the second would be marked N 1162 X. The "X" for extra or second magazine. It falls nicely into a group of other KM 1st var. in my database. The serial number batch could be as few a s 100 up to 1000, it is just not known. The estimated procurement of the 1st var. is 8000. The holster appears original and is the correct style for a KM example. It may or may not have the KM Eagle/M stamped somewhere on it. I do not know what the ink mark may be from. Congratulations! it is a very nice example.

Regards,

P.S. I should of mentioned 1934 Mauser pocket models topics should usually be posted in the "AXIS PISTOLS, 1933-1945" section under "German: German Mfg. (non-P08) Pistols & Holsters. Army, Navy, Police, NSDAP - Also includes reissue of Imperial pistols and Weimar issue pistols. P 38 & HP, Mauser: 1934, HSc, Schnellfeuer; Walther: PP & PPK, Sauer: Behörden & 38H; Ortgies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Mr. Mason,
Thanks kindly for the welcome and for providing me with additional information on my pistol. From my observation the condition of the pistol is very good with the bluing intact except for some slight wear at the muzzle area, likely from the holster.
Do you have any idea as to what the approximate value of pistol, extra magazine and original holster may be?
Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Kris.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
This is a nice gun. In public sale, this could go over $2k no problem.

There was one for sale a few days ago, #532216. My max was $1.3k (not because it only worth that little, but because it's not my main collection -- if no one wanted it, I would take it. That's a small tactic :)). Others quickly pushed me aside, and the price went .. if I remembered right, $1900. No holster, and condition is lower than yours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information Alvin. Can't get much closer than that to the serial number that I have: #532389.

Did the gun that you mention that sold a few days ago have an extra mag? And do you know what condition it was in?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the P.S. indicating my mistake in posting location. My apologies. Do you know if there is way to move the post and string to the proper post location?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Alvin,
Thanks for the link to bauerauction . I agree with you that mark on the mag "P mod. 27" doesn't sound right. Also from what I can see in the pics in that link is that the condition is not as good as my pistol.
So I am a happy camper with mine.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the P.S. indicating my mistake in posting location. My apologies. Do you know if there is way to move the post and string to the proper post location?
It is actually Burgess not Brian. I would estimate the value of all items around $1500 here in the US. In Canada I am not sure. I would agree with Alvin that in an Auction here in the US it would sell anywhere from $1000-2000 depending on the auction. Only an administrator can move a post but it is a common error and you should not be concerned about it.

Alvin, Thanks for answering swecan5's question for me.

Regards,
Burgess

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Burgess for the additional information. I also am not sure about the differences in gun values comparing the USA to Canada.
Regards,
Terry

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Burgess,

Out of curiousity what variation are the 34 Navies that have the eagle/M on the front grip strap? You've handled mine. N/1031 .

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Burgess,

Out of curiousity what variation are the 34 Navies that have the eagle/M on the front grip strap? You've handled mine. N/1031 .
Hi Shayne,

I'm not sure what you are asking. Still calls them Kriegsmarine but they lack the swastika so wouldn't they be Weimar naval? I have heard the M/Anchor referred to as Reichsmarine, so I am not sure what is really correct. If you are referring to the pocket model variation? The Eagle/M that looks like what is pictured below appear mostly on what I call 1914/34 transitionals as most have the MAUSER WERKE address but still have the straight back grip.

Regards,

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet Member
672 Posts
Terry,

As pistols such as the Mauser 1934 fit into the prohibited category in Canada they do typically sell for less than the pistol would if located in the US as the re-sell market is smaller and getting smaller all the time. That being said you have a very nice pistol there. I would guess that its value in Canada would be between $800 and $1000 depending on how quickly you wanted to sell it. Maybe others here may disagree. I don't have real deep pockets, but I have probably paid the higher range on many of the pistols in my collection because I wanted them. That is the range I would consider reasonable if your pistol were to come up for sale in my view. As far as the holster and magazine go I believe the extra magazine is worth $125-$150 and your holster maybe $200-250ish unless KM marked then it would be more. The market is bigger as you can sell leather to anyone anywhere! Just my opinions. Hope this helps you.

Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the information and your input relative to the Canadian market. So if the current price for this Mauser pistol in Canada is say $1000 CDN, which equals $700 USD at today exchange rate, that is a helluva difference from approx $2000 USD value in the USA.
In your opinion, is there any way that a Canadian can export a pistol like this to the USA, or is that not possible due to the 1968 USA Gun Controls Act which stopped importation of small pistols such as this?
I am not sure if that law excluded antique collectable war relics. (I did receive a message from another Canadian collector who advised that it is not possible to export a pistol like this to the USA because of the small size.)

·
Copper Bullet Member
672 Posts
Ya Terry I don't think any prohibs can be exported. A reasonable rule of thumb is what the price is in the US - it is usually about half the price/value here to buy, maybe just a little more than half, but that's about it. Makes it more affordable to collect, but in the end the same collection here is not as valuable as the in US. Guess it's all relative though.....

Mark

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the information and your input relative to the Canadian market. So if the current price for this Mauser pistol in Canada is say $1000 CDN, which equals $700 USD at today exchange rate, that is a helluva difference from approx $2000 USD value in the USA.
In your opinion, is there any way that a Canadian can export a pistol like this to the USA, or is that not possible due to the 1968 USA Gun Controls Act which stopped importation of small pistols such as this?
I am not sure if that law excluded antique collectable war relics. (I did receive a message from another Canadian collector who advised that it is not possible to export a pistol like this to the USA because of the small size.)
Why do people always jump to the high side of an estimated range. I had said value was $1500 USD. 1/2 that would be $750 USD so as Mark said about half in Canada. Looks pretty close to me.

I am un sure if it can be imported be cause of the point system. I do not know if there are exceptions for C&R items but more than anything else the cost of all the red tape would make it not worth wild.

Regards,

·
Copper Bullet Member
672 Posts
Terry,

I shouldn't have said prohibs aren't exportable as I know lugers are, but as Burgess pointed out there is a point system taking into account a variety of factors and I don't believe that any .25 or .32 cal pistols qualify.

Also the point I made about being valued at roughly half what they are in the States is just my opinion, but I think it is reasonably accurate. This again refers to prohibited pistols. Restricted pistols such as the P.38 or Browning High Power would be closer to the same value as the US.

Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Mark & Burgess,

Thanks again for both of your inputs.
I really appreciate it as I am somewhat of a newbie when it comes to current regs and gun values.

I had been a very limited hobby gun collector as a young man in the late 1970's , but just recently after retiring, I have renewed my interest in handguns, and especially in historical, vintage pieces.

And now I am somewhat overwhelmed by the Gov't regulatory changes that have been introduced in the past 4 decades, in both Canada and the USA.

Terry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts