Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acquired several Beretta pistols through the years and now I need some help. I think it is an R.S.I. produced pistol, but does anyone have more info? I have no books on these pistols (other than Axis Pistols), can someone suggest a publication that is in English about these guns and a good reference?

Thanks for your help.

Download Attachment: Beretta.jpg
269.59KB?

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Mark
PIETRO BERETTA LE AUTOMATICHE by Ugo Menchini, 1994, is by far the best collectors book on the Pre WWII and WWII Berettas. It is in Italian and English.
Jan

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hey Mark,
email me with the Ser. # and I'll look it up in the book.
Each page has a column in English and another in Italian--a parallel translation. It's a very good book--it has tons of info and photos, but in a different form from Jan's books. It's a bit of a narrative, with some charts, but you have to read the narrative to get a lot of the data. Menchini's book is rich with info and well written, but I prefer Jan's style of organization. If you are collecting Berettas, then I think this is a "must have" book.
Pancho
PS. Do you think that the price of WW2 Berettas has been going up lately?

Download Attachment: FV-Book-Pietro-Beretta.jpg
93.26 KB

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pancho,

I need to check the serial numbers on my other guns, I have three that I bought because I thought they were unusual. My favorite is a 1944 dated one with the Italian airforce eagle on it.

Do you know where I can get a copy of the book, I like having reference material.

My feeling is that these pistols and other guns like the CZ 27's will have much greater value in the future and you can find them now in excellent condition for a good price.

Mark

·
Registered
485 Posts
Mark,
Here is an interesting paradox. Your pistol's markings seem to be in "Beretta" conflict.

The Ser.# and lack of a Fascist era designation marking on the slide indicate that it is late war production, after the collapse of the Fascist government, and during the period of the RSI which was formed on Sept. 28, 1943.

The Air Force marking indicates that the pistol was consigned to the Royal air force.

This is strange because the Royal air force had already capitulated and was no longer fighting for the Axis, but, like the Royal Italian Army, it was probably fighting in the South of Italy against the Axis.

Thus the "Beretta" conflict.

Here's the explanation (Menchini P. 206):

Beretta mixed unsold pistols with pistols of subsequent contracts, and pistols in stock, some with markings, ie. Royal air force and army, were added to those of following contracts.
Also, it seems that Beretta registers did not state the date of manufacture, but the date of consignment--a ser. # would be recorded referencing the date of consignment, instead of the date of manufacture.

So, your pistol, like mine, while appearing to have conflicting markings, is correct, in a "Beretta" sort of way.

Mark, I will send you this email with additional info. and multiple page numbers, so that you can find it in Mencini's book. Like I said, the book is too narative, and could be much better organized, but, it's still a wealth of info.

Pancho

·
Banned
803 Posts
So I infer that my Beretta Model 1935, Modelo 1935, 1941 issue with Royal Air Force marking, serial no. 480352, would be considered an authentic Air force issue pistol in contrast to the above mentioned examples, correct?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Aaron,
Fellows, you need to buy the book. I don't have time to research the narative for everybody, also, not fair to the authors if I continue to dole out their research.
Seems that your '41 air force pistol is more plentiful, not as rare, as those few marked airforce pistols delivered to the "Comando germanico" after the forming of the RSI.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pancho,

I just got the book and on page 352 is a picture of a 1935 in the same serial number range as my gun! It is identified as an ANR (Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana-Republican National Air Force) contract 4th variation.

Thanks for the tip on the book, it looks like a wealth of information!

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.