Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1935/1944 commercial (no military acceptance stamps) or at least I understand it would be a commercial minus the stamps. The hammer has left a small indentation on the frame from being cocked. I have noticed this on a couple of other 1934/1935 models. Is this a common issue or is it just an idiosyncrasy of a few pistols? Thanks for any replies.
Ben

·
Registered
861 Posts
Kind of the same but different. When the pistol is fired the slide is forced to the rear. As the slide moves rearward, the hammer is forced to the cocked position. As a result and over time, the hammer impacts the frame with enough force to "dent it". Although cocking the hammer by hand can cause the hammer to impact the frame, there is a lot less force. If we are talking about a "dent" in the frame, it is usually caused by firing and not just thumb cocking.
Some pistols have it, some don't. Just comes down to design, fit, finish, and amount of use.
Dean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can this be stopped? For example, can you install a stronger mainspring or recontour the face of the hammer? I so enjoy shooting it that I would hate to have it continue to damage itself if there was some way to stop it. Thanks for the informative replies.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Originally posted by 1124bc

I have a 1935/1944 commercial (no military acceptance stamps) or at least I understand it would be a commercial minus the stamps. The hammer has left a small indentation on the frame from being cocked. I have noticed this on a couple of other 1934/1935 models. Is this a common issue or is it just an idiosyncrasy of a few pistols? Thanks for any replies.
Ben
[/quote
Hello Ben
This is is a photo of my fathers Beretta Md.1934 he brought back from Italy. He was in the 34th "Red Bull" Infantry Division during the fighting in and around Anzio. I think the tang ding adds character and a indication of originality to these pistols.

Download Attachment: Mvc-001f.jpg
62.08KB

·
Registered
413 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 1124bc

Doesn't firing cause the slide to move rearward and "cock" the hammer?
Yes, firing the pistol does cause the slide to move rearward and "cock" the hammer, however, as Dgiz has pointed out, you can also manually cock the hammer which will not cause a "dent" to appear on the rear grip strap spur.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.