Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this 1936 luger last year. The story is, a GI from Iowa brought it back after the war and had the left grip altered with this engraved plate which has his initials. I know this doesn't do the gun any favors when it comes to value, but I like the story and the gun itself is in incredible condition. The color in the straw parts is awesome. So I've got a couple questions:
Are these period correct grips and the GI had someone with some skill add this plate with his initials, or are they some sort of aftermarket grips? There is a letter Z (I think) on the inside of the left grip. Second question: Why are there 2 different proof marks on the barrel and is this common?
Proof mark #2 on barrel.jpg
barrel proof #1.jpg
barrel proof #1.jpg

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,560 Posts
WAL,
The grips look good to me. The e/63 is a acceptance mark. The larger eagle on the right side of the barrel is a firing proof.
Pat

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WAL,
The grips look good to me. The e/63 is a acceptance mark. The larger eagle on the right side of the barrel is a firing proof.
Pat
Thanks Prairiedogpat,
The original grips to the gun would have likely been numbered to the gun, correct? Is it possible and/or common for original grips to have not been numbered during assembly back then?

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,560 Posts
WAL,
According to the book, "The Mauser Parabellum 1930-1946" by Hallock and van de Kant, on page 126, most 1936, S/42 Lugers do not have numbered grips, although a very few will be found with the last two digits of the serial number.
Pat

·
2,468 Posts
A lot of 1936 Lugers do not have numbered grips. Some only have one grip that is numbered. I see nothing wrong with the grips on your Luger except for the modification/addition of the emblem with letters on it. It was very nicely added and compliments the history that goes with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot of 1936 Lugers do not have numbered grips. Some only have one grip that is numbered. I see nothing wrong with the grips on your Luger except for the modification/addition of the emblem with letters on it. It was very nicely added and compliments the history that goes with it.
Thanks JPS! I think I'll keep it as is, but if I wanted to switch out just that Left grip, would it do much for the overall value of the gun?

·
Registered
416 Posts
The stamped "Z" on the inside panel of the grip, is an inspection stamp...seen on many of these circa 1936 grips...both my 1936 Mausers have un - numbered grips, that fit very well, and that I am sure they are the original ones it came with from Mauser Werke factory, have these "Z" stamps on the grips...

Edward

1 - 10 of 10 Posts