Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Found a 1936 Mauser Banner S/N 9375 all matching, an eagle over a mark on the left side next to the s/n, no marks on the right side of the receiver. Matching mag. I can't find any reference of the serial number going that high in 1936, could this be possible?
Edit: The mark on the left side next to the s/n might have been a crown over another mark, also the magazine bottom was matching number and also had other markings, an S, and some others. Sorry, I am operating from memory and have always said its the 2nd shortest thing I got.
Thanks, Hueydriver

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Hello Jesse,
Welcome to the forum. Is there a letter under the ser# on the front of the frame. The serial number is out of the reported range for a 1936 Banner. The marks should be an Eagle over an "N" and a Crown over a "U". According to Jan Still's Third Reich Lugers the serial range should have a "V" suffix. However, have been found in the "W" and "X" range also. Good clear photo's of all marks and ser# would be very important in IDing this pistol. It would be a scarce pistol if all correct. I would be suspicious until someone can varify that it is original.What is the asking price?
Ron

·
Gold Bullet Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Ron, Thanks for the Welcome.
Tomorrow I'll take another look at this Luger. I'll pay closer attention. The guy is asking $1475.00. Its nice looking about 90% blue, the bore is nice, has strawed small parts, kinda faded. The font of the 1936 on the receiver is of the same font as the ones I see on the internet, I'll check her out better tomorrow.
He also has a 1914 DMW Artillary model date 1914 s/n 672, all matching as I remember, but he bore is kinda ugly, some pitting. He asks 1500.00 for this one.
I love this forum, can't seem to get enough. Been lurking for a while reading and learning. You guys are the Luger braintrust.
Thanks, Jesse

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,198 Posts
Jesse.... Let me add my welcome. I'm thinking what you are looking at could be a Banner Commercial and that is ONE FUN GUN. Being kind of a Banner Freak, I would love to find out more about the gun. Pictures if at all possible would really help.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Jesse,

If the Artillery is in nice shape externally. That's not a bad price. It's common for Artillery Lugers to have rough bores. Very few don't. I'm also in ageement with Dave. It sounds like a banner commercial. If so, that's not a bad price either. Try to get photos and post them. You'll get more help than you may want. If you can't take photos. Write down discriptions of all markings and numbers and where they are located, as accurately as possible.
Ron

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Jesse's photos of 1936 Banner. No Ser# suffix. Rare variation?? Does anyone have any opinions or input on this pistol?

Download Attachment: 1936 Banner 1.jpg
83.24 KB

Download Attachment: 1936 Banner.jpg
83.09 KB

Download Attachment: 1936 Banner2.jpg
31.08 KB

Download Attachment: 1936 Banner3.jpg
25.99 KB

Download Attachment: 1936 banner4.jpg
32.83 KB

Download Attachment: 1936 Banner5.jpg
33.04 KB

Download Attachment: 1936 Banner6.jpg
58.45 KB

Download Attachment: 1936_Banner.jpg
98.55 KB

Ron

·
Gold Bullet Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wondering if this pistol was some kind of mistake, maybe they meant it to be a S/42 and grabbed a mauser toggle by mistake. I saw somewhere a 1936 S/42 with a high s/n without the P.08 on the side. Just a thought.
What exactly does the crown over the U signify? It has this mark by the s/n and on the side of the toggle on the joint. Please forgive, I know I should have posted topic in the newguy section.
Thanks, Jesse

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Jesse,
The crown/u is an early Mauser proof used until approx. 1939. In my opinion, for what it's worth. Is that this is a Banner Commercial.
If it was an S/42 with a replaced toggle. The proofs would be different. This pistol has commercial proofs.

Download Attachment: 101_0119.jpg
134.55KB

These are the markings on a 1936 S/42.

Ron

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,198 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. The one that has me stumped is the shot of the top where is appears to show a cut for what I would normally think of as a set up for an artillery sight. Could you show a close up of that area and perhaps a kind of angle shot at about 45 degrees???

Is barrel numbered to the gun??? Something tells me that there is a clue in the mag but I'm not smart enuf to figure it out. Will send this to someone who knows a lot more about these than I do.

Is the gun for sale in a gun shop or thru a private contact??? Would hate to see this one go into NEVER NEVER land before somebody could figure it out. Could be a real goodie......

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Dave,
Good eye! I did'nt notice the cut or ? Hard to tell what it is.
That's kind of peculiar. This thing is an enigma.

Dave, I have been checking the books. Do you suppose this could be a leftover Siamese contract Artillery receiver, that was used to assemble a commercial? Or one of the 4" Siamese that did'nt get shipped with the contract? The ser# range is still off, but what else could it be?

Ron

·
Gold Bullet Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Guys,
The Pistol is at a Gun shop about 35 miles from me. I guess I should make up my mind to either buy it or let it go by. I'll probably buy her just for the mystery and history.
The barrel is s/n match to the gun, Even the grips match says the man, but I did'nt take them off to see. Everything on her that is visible from the outside matches.
I also noticed a little eagle or some mark like that on the front of the sight block. She's also got a nice bore, thats what I like.
Jesse

·
Gold Bullet Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Guys, I just magnified the pic from the top and there is a machine cut just behind the barrel on the top of the receiver, has a nice relieved edge on the back side.
Wish I could figure out how to post photos, can't seem to get them small enough to post, thanks to Ron for posting the photo's.
Jesse

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
Jesse, here is Microsofts photo resizer thingy url;

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

See the "resizer" on the right, otherwise a program such as Pain Shop Pro, where you amke the resolution smaller, then the actual size of the picture and the "size" drops waaayyyy down, of course, so does the quality if you try to make it larger.

Ed

·
Gold Bullet Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think its gonna work this time.........

Download Attachment: Banner.jpg
60.06 KB

Yeaaaaa...yipeeee it worked!!!!!! THANKS ED, you're THE MAN!!!
Now the formerly grouchy hueydriver needs to kiss up to his wife.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.