Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The photo shows a G-Date, 1936 G-Block, 1936 H-Block and a 1936 K-Block. The Germans made two small changes in the design between the G-Date and 1936. The first was to make a larger radius behind the barrel band that contains the front sight. The second was to change the size of the "S" in the S/42 on the mid toggle link so the "S" and "42" were the same size.

Actually, they made three changes. Later they changed the design of the proof mark from the Early Test Proof Mark (ETP) to the Mid Proof Test Mark (MTP) near the beginning of the L/M-Block. But this transition only pertains to the ETP.

Download Attachment: 1936 S 42 Transitions 2.JPG
73.19KB

The photo shows the G-Date and the 1936 G-Block have the smaller radius, the other two have the larger, full radius. Also shown is the 1936 K-Block has the S/42 all the same size, the other three have the large "S" in the S/42.

So, Mauser used all the piece parts they could making some interesting transitions. The sharp radius barrel bands and the large "S" in the S/42 mid toggle link are all from the 1935 (G-Date) production. I am reasonably sure that these parts are mixed in for 1936 production in the F, G and H Blocks and maybe higher.

Now the question: Has anyone seen a 1936 with a sharp radius behind the barrel band in combination with a "standard" 1936 mid toggle link?

Mauser Military Lugers are INTERESTING!!!!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Frank,
I've also noticed that the shape of the 4 also changes during this transition from being closed at the top of the 4 on the G dates and early 1936's to being open at the top. A small detail but I thought it worth mentioning.

JV

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Frank,

1936 S/42 #7245o has the large-radius barrel band, but a very much different S in the S/42 than any you picture. It is large, and the bottom of the S-curve is very much wider than the top. No pictures right now, will try to work some up soon.

--Dwight

G

·
Re the 1936 dates. I would be interested in a test proof comparison between the - g - and - k - suffix letters. I have found this is the area of the transition from test proof 1 to test proof 2. Any body have any comments on there 1936 Lugers??
thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.