Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1937 Mauser Lugar that my Dad brought back after the war and I have started shooting it again recently. The problem I am having is that the safety keeps coming back on while I am shooting. After the first shot or two, the safety drifts back about halfway down between off and on and the weapon does not fire. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

John Lewis

·
Administrator
13,063 Posts
John, welcome to the Luger forum

Is it worn? Like new? Matching?

Usually its the safety lever is just worn enough that it slips, you can slightly bend it --- slightly--- to make it tighter. Personally, I have always replaced that part, but I almost always just shoot non-matching guns!

Ed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. I will remove the safety lever and try bending it a little. If that does not work I will replace it. The only thing about replacing it is that it has been chromed (don't know if my Dad did it or it was done when he got it. It is a very nice looking gun but I realize the value is gone) so it would not look quite right. But I guess I could get the part chromed.
Thank you very much for your replies.

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I watched the video as suggested and I have a question. The safety seems to be in two pieces, 1)the lever that you push up and down and 2) a rectangular/rhomboidal,trapezoidal piece that the lever attaches to. Which of those do I bend? I assume the rectangular piece?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
the lever that you push up and down with your thumb. Bend it like it is made of glass. Too much will break it...Bill

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
I suggest laying the lever over a very small drill shank and press down on the ends...precludes over bending. If you need a tad more bend, go up to the next drill size, just don't try to do too much at one time.
Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts