Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1937 S/42 that I want to sell. I have not yet taken any pictures to post. And, I have never participated on any gunboards, before. So, I'm a little green - and ask that you bear with me.

This Luger has been in my family for many years and was passed down to me 30 years, ago. I have never fired it - and have kept it clean and oiled in a holster.

It is marked as follows:

1937 S/42

S/N 3425 on Barrel, Frame and Slide

There is a "Y" beneath the S/N on front of Trigger Guard Frame

All Parts are Marked with "25"

There is second number under the Barrel S/N that has a 63 or 83 on it.

There is also a larger "22" marked on Frame in three places

The Blue is Perfect except for some holder wear

Barrel Clean and not pitted

No Straw - anywhere

Grips are clean and not damaged

Clip S/N 9026 - Has "N", +, Eagle, 83 on it, Aluminum Bottom

Leather Holster - Not Original - Made by Grandfather

I bought a 1997 Copy of The Luger Book by Arron Davis to locate the info for my Luger.

I would like to sell it for top dollar. And, I would like to know how to best accomplish that. I would appreciate any advice on pricing. Located in Southern California.

Thanks,

Jay

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,169 Posts
Jay..... Welcome to the board. You were doing great until you got to the part about the "22" number. I have no idea what that would be and would suggest you try and find a way to post some pictures. It would sure help us help you.

There are many excellent books out there on Lugers. IMHO, the one you have is not in that group. Try THIRD RIECH LUGERS by Jan Still....you will find info about it on this board.

·
Registered
14,177 Posts
Jay,

The Mike Jones family (son of Luger author and expert Harry Jones) has a gun shop in Torrance. You might bring it by their shop and see what they think...it you cannot post photo jpegs here on the gunboard.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave / Pete

Thanks. I'll get some pictures taken in the next few days.
In the meantime - the "22" stamps are in these places.

(1) Left Side of Frame - Just above trigger is 1 inch square area of the frame that has the small "25" in the center and the larger "22" is above it.

(2) Left Side of Frame - In Horizontal Part of Frame - just above grip area - has upside down Larger "22"

(3) Right Side of Frame - In the very back area - about even with the V-notch sights is the third "22".

Sorry, about not knowing the technical names of the parts on the Luger. But, I would like to know what the concern about the "22" might be.

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Jay

Welcome to the forum, the concern on the large 22 stamp is that it is out of the ordinary for a 1937 S/42.

Not only is the 22 an extra stamp it is the location of the stamp on your frame. The other collectors are being inquisitive also and suspect that the luger may have been marked by someone ouside of the Mauser factory.

Your pictures will help and you will then be given sound advice.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Jay

The procedure for posting photo's on this thread is very simple

After taking your pictures and placing in your pictures file in jpeg format under 300 kb's you simply click onto post new reply, type your message, click onto the insert an image icon (paperclip) without starting a new reply.

This will then take you to your documents, find the picture you wish to post and then click onto upload to jays post and repeat the procedure for each photo you wish to insert.

You need not start a new post for each picture just keep reinserting the image and away you go.

Make sure to size your picture properly so the folks with dial up can view the photo's more quickly.

Try this and if it doesn't work holler for more help and Ed the moderator will assist you if I do not get back to you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jauy
Look at the eagle acceptance on the right side of the receiver. Do the wings of the first two (left to right) eagles appear to droop down or do they appear to be horizontal to the pistol.
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.