Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all members and relic hunters.

Want to share with you my dream come true pistol ! Aftermany years being on the look out i finally found my beloved Polish Eagle RADOM VISpistol...
I am Polish and very sentimental when it comes to pre-WWIIfirearms that been made with great attention to detail in Poland - DrugiejRzeczypospolitej Polski , before Nazi and Russians took everything we had fromus....This is very sad story...thanks god that pieces of Polish history likethis pistol are still there and reminding us how great pre -WWII Poland use to be.......notany more. Those days we are going nowhere as nation - this is also verysad.....

Anyway, here are some photos of my treasure and as alwaysfew questions that comes with that :)

Please tell me what you think about cleaning rood? I wasexpecting to see G2 proof mark, but this one has something that looks like"N" . I never seen such proof on any ( there is not a lot to compareit to anyway). size and shape is identical , but marking not as common - whatdo you think?

Holster seem to be very legit, but has no visible markings or stamps. Most of the times iseen it on inside part of the flap, but this one is work and most likely theysimply vanished over the years ( ink proofs) what you think?

Also actual value of such rig in that condition? i paid athon of dollars for this set, but been wondering if i overpaid or actually gotvery fair deal?

What you think this piece is worth and how would you ratecondition of pistol and holster?

I will apreciate your opinions and comments.

If you have one of those Polish Eagles please share somephotos here , would love to see more of the Polish Legend....

Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
What a beautiful piece of work and in such great condition - you did good! I will let more knowledgable members discuss the value and other details. Jeff

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,302 Posts
I recognize the holster..This rig was recently sold on Gun Broker. I think you did OK.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Whatever you paid, you did great. This is a real gem. I agree, this model is a testament to Polish
design and craftsmanship, from a great country, with a great history, and great people so don't write
the country off, I'm sure many are doing well there and it will retake it's place in history. After all
it was the first country to strive for and achieve independence from the Communist Soviet fist..
Thanks for displaying with such great pictures.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Congratulations.Gun is as good as it gets.Holster has some issues but considering its age and originality still very nice,three original polish made mags another WOW.Cleaning rod ,unfortunately is a reproduction.That was actually the factor that stopped many polish collectors from bidding war.When you buy from big auction sites it is hard to make a really good deal but IMO you did OK.In Poland collectors say"if you own one you are really lucky man".Sooner or later you will get your money back but I seriously doubt that you are planning to sell it.It is going to end up in the darker corner of your safe(like all of mine).I have spent 25 years in US and can tell that I remember better America and think It will never be the same.That is what Mauser1937 is trying to say about Poland.Entire World is changing for worst.Good collecting.Regards Kris

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Beautiful pistol. I too saw the pistol listed for sale, it is as nice as I have seen.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kris, thank you for your comment - you are right, I will sell all my Lugers, P38's and 98k before I will sell this Pistolet :) Hopefully I will never have to get rid off my collection, but those days you never know what will come next......crazy world !
Why do you think that cleaning rod is reproduction? please provide solid proof if you can - this is very important for me. Have you seen those for sale as repro or maybe other reason......

Looking forward to hear from you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gorgeous! The finish on yours is much better than the two wartime production Grade II Radoms that I own. Every time I hold a VIS, I am very impressed with Polish arms manufacturing from the 1930's. These pistols are works of art and are very well-made. I use one as a shooter and it is my favorite pistol from the WWII era. Enjoy your new gem!
Sincerely,
David

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree, that's a beauty. I saw on GB too. Couldn't justify going for a second one. Price wise, I think you did great since you got three early mags and the cleaning rod as well. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I think it sold exactly for the amount it should have sold for: $4500 for the gun, $1750 for the holster and $500 for 2 extra mags. All very clean and original. Nice rig.

·
Registered
512 Posts
First and very important factor is no inspectors stamps.There are a few pictures of a original rod available on this forum.Please compare the seal of the loop to the rod itself(it was not a solid piece).There is a huge market for a cleaning rods.They have been copied for years as well as the holsters.What meant to be a copy became later on a fake thanks to crooks or guys who dont know the difference.Regards Kris

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for an update Kris. I looked all over this forumand no luck finding complete pictures of cleaning rod, only partial with proofsvisible only.
I managed to buy additional cleaning rod long time a go,knowing that one day i may find holster in order to get me nice rig.
I still have this cleaning rod and compared them. There arevery small differences. The one i bought long time a go has G2 on loupe , butno other markings. Also G2 is in unusual location.... What is your opinion?

Also I did a thon of research for reproduction rods, nothing came up - no single photo or info - very little data to compare.

Below are photos of the them. IMG_3657.jpg IMG_3665.jpg IMG_3663.jpg IMG_3662.jpg IMG_3661.jpg IMG_3660.jpg IMG_3659.jpg IMG_3658.jpg

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi,you got yourself a nice original cleaning rod.There is nothing unusual about location of G2 on the loop.They are encountered on loop or rod..G2 or S5.There is nothing about a reproduction rods because they are fakes and fakers try to pass them as real .Yours is one of them(no stamp)Either way you got now a beautiful original rig.Regards Kris

·
Registered
357 Posts
Mauser, congrats on a fine catch. My nets were cast for today's Poulin auction, but alas, the fish proved elusive :(

Anyway, Kris is right about the rod coming with the rig - but you have a perfect replacement already in place. Just compare the two - and the drawing below. This might not be an outright 'fake' - just a replacement for the original rod, but the ring attachment is different, as well as the flat part of it, and as Kris noted, the proof stamps are sadly lacking. Fortunately, whoever made this replacement rod must have handled the original, not the blueprint.

There's a very popular fake rod made several years ago, repeating the triangular and ogival stamps, as well as rod-ring interface, but it is made to conform the drawing - and not the measurements indicated therein! The drawing is a bit unrealistic in details as illustrated, but if you take the measurements from it, not the shape or proportions of the overblown eyelet, the result tends to be much more realistic! :)

As for the ring to rod interface, most originals have rod cut into triangular point (not cone, but with flat sides) and ring cut into X shape, set together and soldered. Some rods are brass-soldered, which is now an extinct art, some are silver soldered, so that a faint silver X shape is visible. Fakes have their rings soldered flat to the rod, or mess is being made of the joint - as in the replacement rod riding in your rig. More blatant fakes are cast altogether, one-piece affairs.

Early MAG 95 pistols were equipped with a Radom-made modern copy of the Vis cleaning rod, made exactly to the blueprints, but soldered flat.

One more known fake rod is - let's call it - a 'perfect gentleman's fake'. It is a very good copy, mostly giving away the game by being just too damn perfect in fact. The "gentleman" part is, that the manufacturer claims to make replacement rods, not fake rods, by deliberately deviating from the original in three points: tin-soldered rod-ring interface, wide eyelet and using a non-existing proof (OK - we all know, they are not PROOF, but ACCEPTANCE stamps) of "B/2", combining known proofs G/2 and B/8. The latter was used alternatively with D/2 on weapons, not accessories, which were exclusively stamped either G/2 or S/5. Any reasonably knowlegeable Radom collector would recognise the copy, but it is of enough quality to replace the elusive original. I know - I had one of these in my holster for a while, while hunting for the genuine rod. Now it has its own place in Rogue Gallery with "aftermarket" magazines and 'replacement' lanyards.

All the best,
Leszek

PS. Most of the photos used to illustrate that gibberish are vacuumed from the forum - Francis' beet-root background is so obvious that I remembered where it comes from, all the other photographers: please accept my apology for not crediting the source. But at least I don't put my copyright on it :) L

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hello, Leszek! Thank you for impressive and much needed information about Polish cleaning rod. Not bad for Polish guy! That comes from another Polish guy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts