Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have read that some police Lugers did not have a sear safety installed. Mine does not have one. I have taken a few amateur pictures so maybe someone would be able to tell if one was ever installed or not. Maybe the serial number range may give a hint also. I don鈥檛 know. To me, it looks like one was never installed. I hope some experts can weigh in and give me their opinions. Would the value be affected by having one or not? Thanks in advance. 馃
Eyewear Material property Gadget Everyday carry Beige
Air gun Automotive design Vehicle Trigger Bumper
Hood Automotive exterior Office equipment Bumper Wood
Hood Automotive tire Grille Bumper Synthetic rubber
Light Grille Audio equipment Revolver Automotive design
Brown Bag Beige Grey Khaki
Automotive tire Material property Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello all. I have read that some police Lugers did not have a sear safety installed. Mine does not have one. I have taken a few amateur pictures so maybe someone would be able to tell if one was ever installed or not. Maybe the serial number range may give a hint also. I don鈥檛 know. To me, it looks like one was never installed. I hope some experts can weigh in and give me their opinions. Would the value be affected by having one or not? Thanks in advance. 馃 View attachment 656622 View attachment 656623 View attachment 656624 View attachment 656625 View attachment 656626 View attachment 656627 View attachment 656628
Watch Household hardware Rectangle Material property Wood

Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
Fairly common to see them with removed safety's on an otherwise nice pistol with a matching mag it doesn't alter value at all IMO.

It might be possible to stumble upon a sear-safety and have a competent gunsmith attach it on your Luger. Contact some of the guys who deal in Luger parts and repair and see if they might have one. JIM

Gold Bullet Member 2012
Some late 1942 Police Banners had the hole drilled but the sear safety was not installed (I have one). Mine has the drilled hole but the top of the sideplate was not cutout. The sear safety cannot function without the cutout.
I would think all 1939 Police Banners had the sear safety installed.

Premium Member
Your pistol had the sear safety removed.
It has the holes and cutouts for a sear safety.
The evidence is the slot cut in the top of the side plate, and the hole drilled in the slide just above the relieved part of the sear.

Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
Why, Jerry? Because it had one to begin with.
I guess that is true..but honestly they are a great pain in the arse. Dismantling is MUCH easier without it. Not cheap or easy to add on either. They work just fine without them. It's likely the Germans took it off. I hear it often, it's "part of it's history don't change it!" But in the end it's a judgement call. Maybe my bias is showing. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Registered
A question related to this:

Did Mauser factory-install the sear safety on the later police Lugers, produced after the safety became standard, or was this still a matter of the work being done in police armories, like was the case with pre-1933 pistols?

It is my opinion sear safeties were installed by Mauser for police acceptance. This is evidenced by unopened factory boxes of police accepted Lugers found by U.S. military personnel found on a train that had been destroyed by the U.S. Army Air Force. While in college I was fortunate to live next to a Vet who brought home 2 new police accepted 1939 Banners with sear-safeties installed. He and other GIs looted a train that had been blown off the track near Garmish-Partenkirchen in Bavaria. Extra matched magazines were rolled with a type of brown paper and included inside the holsters the Lugers were found inside of. The question I asked myself numerous times was, why were new 1939 police accepted Banners found on a train in March 1945? Both holsters were tan, dated 1939, and in new condition. The Vet seemed to think there were about 20 Lugers per case but was not sure about that. Yes, I did eventually own one of those Lugers. All the Lugers and other pistols were taken as souvenirs from what he told me. JIM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts