Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m interested in purchasing a 1940 42 Luger with matching serial numbers (except for the magazine). Based on my references, everything checks out with exception of the possibly the serial number (being only 3 digits + letter suffix).

While I’ve seen a few similar 3-digit examples in posts such as “1940 42, 41 42, byf 41 and byf 42 CODE PRODUCTION ESTIMATE AND DATA REQUEST” on this forum, the majority of references (and pistols) I’ve seen have 4-digit serial numbers. One reference I’ve read specifies a serial number range of 7700z to 7000n, while those referenced in the aforementioned post appears to be a bit more expansive.

As I’m new to the hobby, I just want to be sure that I’m not overlooking something obvious with respect to the serial number. Any input on this question (as well as approximate value range – I know this varies greatly based on many specifics) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for you input.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Serial numbers run 1-10000 no letter suffix , 1-10000 suffix a , 1-10000 suffix b and continue through the alphabet . Then start over again .

Serials can be 1-5 digits .
I do not know the range for 40-42 guns but it is in Hallocks book .

There is some debate on the use of 10,000 as a serial but there are at least a few with it .

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You'll probably find the reference information we publish in the FAQ PDF document useful. Just search for it on our forum, and download a copy. It's free and contains valuable reference information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your input and quick responses. I’ll be sure to check out the FAQ .pdf document mentioned as I continue to educate myself in this hobby.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts