Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up another Luger. It is a 1940 dated 42. It is in very nice condition and was my friend's father's bring-back. It is all matching (58's all over) with the exception of the firing pin which is an 18, and the "fxo" magazine with aluminum base. The base is stamped "2".

The gun does have some "issues". Primarily, there are no grips on the gun. The originals were broken when the gun was damaged overseas. It looks like the pistol grip was used as a hammer or somehow run over. It was brought back to the states in this condition. The grip screw holes look like they might need to be cleaned up or re-tapped. I will try the screws from another pistol to confirm this.

If I need to re-tap the holes or clean them up, is this a DIY job or should I turn to professional help? With a set of reproduction grips on it, it is truly a handsome pistol.

I cannot yet post pictures of this pistol or the 1937 S42 I purchased earlier this month as I just got my home computer back from the tech. I can try to post pictures tonight.

Thank you in advance for your help.

· Copper Bullet Member
1,001 Posts
Hi Capt.,

First I have this Can't Remember Stuff (CRS) syndrome, but I seem to remember the grip screw threads are a Modified Acme Thread.

I don't think I would recommend that you try to cut new threads yourself. I also wouldn't recommend that you take it to any old gunsmith to have them do it for you. Find a knowledgable LUGER Gunsmith and I'll bet he would have some dies to chase you some new threads.

I know several Master Luger Smiths that might be able to help. So if you don't get any replys here, contact me and I'll try to get a name for you.

You might tell me where you live, since the frame has to be treated like a pistol and has to go via the regulations of the BATF. You might live close to a good Smith and you can hand carry it to them!!

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gave it the once-over tonight. The threads on one side are fine, the other side is slightly buggered. I am going to leave this to the pros. I still believe this gun was used as a hammer. It's not nearly as bad as I am describing, though.

Frank, I am in Cleveland, Ohio. I Would appreciate any suggestions you have.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are a few pictures of this Luger.

from the top . . .

Download Attachment: 4042 top.jpg
54.87KB

and the side . . .

Download Attachment: 4042 side.jpg
65.55KB

But for the grip screw hole, this would be a nice looking pistol. The letter under the ser. no. looks like a stretched out "s". All of the gun matches but for the firing pin. The grips are repros.

· Copper Bullet Member
1,001 Posts
Capt. Sorry it just about can't be an S-Block 1940 Luger. They stopped making the 1940's in the Late N or early O-Block. I'll send you a suffix list and maybe something will match.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.