Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to pick up a matching 1940 luger. I would rate the finish at a conservative 93%. It has its original holster and 2 mags, one which is serialized to the gun. Now for the issue. The toggle hold open pin is broken. I realize that this has a major impact on collectability. How hard would it be to find a replacement with the same two numbers as the gun? By the way the grip panels are both numbered to the gun and are walnut. Thanks

·
2,359 Posts
It probably would not be too difficult to find. All Mauser hold-open levers were duplicated numerically every 100 Lugers. This device rotated on a pin, but I believe you are interested in the hold-open lever itself. There's a section of this forum that would enable you to seek the correct part for this Luger. There are also members of this forum who specialize is parts for German automatic pistols who may be able to help you. Regards, JIM

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim,

Thanks for the information. The rig is nice and I had a chance to inspect it in person. I hope to have it in hand by Wednesday. Once I do I will post a wtb in the right section. Hopefully I will be able to find the right numbered part.

Brendan

·
Administrator
13,063 Posts
Brendan, not sure what a toggle hold open pin is... It depends on which part it is, if the take down lever, the hold open or another important part, I would be careful in paying too much. If the rear toggle pin, then, it matters to many, it is not a deal killer to me...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I am not describing it correctly. It is the pin or part that holds the toggle open with an empty magazine in place.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
1,084 Posts
Here is what a hold open looks like. If just the spring on the end is missing than it is an easy fix. Finding the whole missing piece with the correct number will be difficult but not impossible.
Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I picked up the pistol today got it home and stripped it. Everything looked good. Tried the two mags it came with, same issue. Tried my other two mags andbthe toggle locked back! Perhaps the mags are no good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can mags wear out? The mags it came with won't lock the toggle back. However my other two black widow mags will engage the toggle lock.

·
2,457 Posts
Double check the hold open to ensure that it's fit properly in it's well, and that things up there are clean. Look to see if the little spring at the front it right. Numbered matching magazines are the ones that the pistol was fitted with at the factory.

A close inspection and possibly cleaning may be in order. G.T. does wonders with magazines. I wouldn't disassemble one myself.

Marc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts