Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I picked up and interesting Luger that I wanted to share with you. It's marked 1940 over the chamber and Simpson & Co Suhl on the toggle. It's all matching including the mag. It's marked EXACTLY like the one in Jan's fine book on Weimar Lugers page 246. However it's only an 80% gun. Do any of you have any idea as to it's value or desirability??? Thanks very much. "Nap"

·
Registered
257 Posts
Did you get this gun from Texas? I saw one very similar to the one you are describing a couple of months ago, it was a very interesting gun. The owner was asking $2250 for it including a very nice Holster. I could find out if he still have it!
Tony S.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys. Yes, that's where I got it. I was hoping to find out if that was a fair price or too much for an 80% gun. Any thoughts on that??? Thanks "Nap"

·
Super Moderator
5,336 Posts
I also wonder if any German soldier would want to carry around a pistol with a Jewish maker's name as late as 1940....Something has been changed on this gun, either the receiver or the toggle. The Simson company was seized by the Nazi government in 1935 and was absorbed by the Wilhem Gustloff-Stiftung in 1936. They never made P08's again and the Simson brand name had already disappeared from the toggles earlier.

It's a rework, one way or another.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, of course it's a rebuild as is pointed out on p246 of Jan's Weimar book. It has the 42 stamping on the receiver and safety ndicating replacement parts. It's properly proofed just like the one in the book including the "H" on the side of the barrel boss It has the same type three digit serial with a "0" prefix. All matching including the extruded fxo type mag which is numbered in the police style. My understnding was that this small lot (aprox 500) were built up from spare parts for the German police. Maybe Jan or Ed could shed some light on this?? Any thoughts as to it's value? Thanks "Nap" in Fairbanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.