Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1944 DATED KRIEGHOFF AND ACCESSORIES.
Its not very often that I don’t pay top dollar for a Luger. I obtained this Luger many years ago. It was described over the phone as a navy Luger because it had an anchor on the top. When I was told that it was dated 1944, I lost no time to make the purchase. Reportedly it was picked up from the Krieghoff Factory after the end of World War II. I traced it back to the original owner who was with the 11 Division during World War II. Unfortunately, he had recently passed away.

The Krieghoff Luger was manufactured for the Luftwaffe from 1935 to 1944 by Krieghoff Waffenfabrik at Suhl Germany. About 12,200 were manufactured for the Luftwaffe. Although its production was small and constituted less than 8 percent of Luftwaffe Luger procurement, it is the only Luger officially inspected, accepted, and proofed by the Luftwaffe and is highly prized by collectors.

Gibson’s THE KRIEGHOFF PARABELLUM contains a very detailed study of Krieghoff Lugers and their markings. This book contains it’s own set of terminology for inspection, acceptance, and proof stamps and requires study. This is the definitive work on Krieghoff Lugers and is highly recommended. Gibson covers the 1944 dated Krieghoff on page 184 and 185.

Download Attachment: 44Krieghoff1.jpg
36.85 KB
Figure 1. 1944 dated Krieghoff, serial number 11231. Twenty 1944 dated Krieghoffs are found in the 11200-11400 and 11600-12000 serial ranges (The two reported in the 13000-13075 serial range are considered controversial.). About 200 were produced.

The only external serial numbers on 1944 Krieghoff’s are found on the left receiver, front frame, and bottom of barrel. The only external proofs, acceptance and inspection stamps are found on the right receiver, right frame, bottom of barrel and left breech block. Almost all of the other parts have acceptance stamps and serial numbers on their hidden inside surfaces. (See page 260 to 261 of THIRD REICH LUGERS for more details.)

The serial numbers on the left receiver do not exactly line up, which is typical on at least some 1943 and 1944 dated Krieghoff’s.

Download Attachment: 44Krieghoff2.jpg
17.3 KB
Figure 2. 1944 dated Krieghoff, serial number 11231. Top. (Gibson discusses this logo die on page 82. He calls it type C-2.)

Download Attachment: 44Krieghoff3.jpg
41.24KB
Figure 3. 1944 dated Krieghoff, serial number 11231. Right side. The plum/red colored ejector and plum colored magazine release shown here are typical of Krieghoff Lugers

Download Attachment: 44Krieghoff4.jpg
37.11 KB
Figure 4. 1944 dated Krieghoff, serial number 11231. Showing the distinctive Luftwaffe right receiver proofs and acceptance stamps. The left two stamps are for acceptance and the right stamp the test proof. The frame stamp is for inspection (See page 260 to261 of THIRD REICH LUGERS for more details.).

(Gibson has his own set of terminology for 1944 Krieghoff stamps, see pages 90-100 and184: LWaA 1st-Stage I: late; LWaA 1st-Stage II: late; LWaA Proof: Original; and LWaA 2nd: Original. Note: these are Gibson’s and not Luftwaffe or Krieghoff terminology)

Download Attachment: 44Krieghoff5.jpg
24.58 KB
Figure 5. 1944 dated Krieghoff, serial number 11231. Showing bottom of barrel and front of frame. The 8.84 gauge is stamped along the long axis of the barrel forward of the inspection stamp. This Luger has no witness mark.

Download Attachment: 44Krieghoff6.jpg
70.57 KB
Figure 6. 1944 dated Krieghoff, serial number 11231. Safety marking (Gibson calls this safety stamp the type “B”). The Krieghoff toggle knob hole has a definite countersink. Other manufacturers lack this feature.

Download Attachment: 44Krieghoff7.jpg
34.99 KB
Figure 7. 1944 dated Krieghoff, serial number 11231. Forward frame well assembly number, 458.

Download Attachment: 44Krieghoff8.jpg
63.86KB
Figure 8. 1944 dated Krieghoff, serial number 11231. Side plate, showing the internal serial number and inspection stamps. Like Erfurts, Simsons, and early K date Lugers, Krieghoff Lugers bear inspection stamps on all parts. However, the Krieghoff inspection stamps are mostly found on the interior surfaces.

Download Attachment: 44Krieghoff 9.jpg
52.54KB
Figure 9. 1944 dated Krieghoff, serial number 11231, with its black 1944 dated holster.

Download Attachment: 44Krieghoff10.jpg
47.84KB
Figure 10. Open 1944 dated holster, showing the extra magazine and Luftwaffe E/2 stamped tool. It’s magazine is double E/37 and P08 stamped. As this plastic bottom magazine is not the type issued with this Luger, I would estimate that the original GI owner found this magazine at the Krieghoff plant.

Download Attachment: 41421944Krieghoff 044.jpg
40.28 KB
Figure 11. Back of holster markings: E/WaA/101, cdg 44, and P08.

Mistake above corrected 10/13

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See John James (Huggiebear) post under Holsters and Magazines.
It appears that the holster shown above (with the 1944 Krieghoff) stamped E/WaA/101, cdg 4, and P.08 is much rarer than the 1944 dated Krieghoff that it is shown with. According to John these are the "RATEST OF THE RARE" and this is the only other one known. A pleasant surprise. I learn something every day on this forum. However, there must be a few more out there.
Jan

·
Registered
406 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Jan C Still

See John James (Huggiebear) post under Holsters and Magazines.
It appears that the holster shown above (with the 1944 Krieghoff) stamped E/WaA/101, cdg 4, and P.08 is much rarer than the 1944 dated Krieghoff that it is shown with. According to John these are the "RATEST OF THE RARE" and this is the only other one known. A pleasant surprise. I learn something every day on this forum. However, there must be a few more out there.
Jan
Wouldn't that be nice! Unfortunately, your picture of your holster indicates that it is stamped 'cdg/44' rather than 'cdg/4'. If I read hb's post correctly only those holster bearing the latter stamp are the "RAREST OF THE RARE".

I am not certain what your meant by "RATEST OF THE RARE"?

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill
You are right, mine is cdg 44 rather than cdg4 like Huggiebears. I guess its not one of the RAREST OF THE RAREST.
Jan (Kind of disappointed)

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Folks; we need to get a handle on this as only 4 of these waffenamted holsters are known to collectors and this applies whether it is a single "4" or double "44" variation and if I understood one individual's holster marking details correctly , another variation consists of 4 digits of "1944". In either case , these 1944 waffenamted holsters are extremely rare no matter how they are marked.

·
Registered
406 Posts
quote:Originally posted by huggiebear

. . .it has only the number 4 underneath the code of "cdg . . .
So, now, if I read your last post correctly, a holster stamped E/Wa/101, cdg, P08 and with any combination of numbers which designate 1944 as the year of manufacture, e.g., 4,44,1944, qualifies such a holster to be considered the "RAREST OF THE RARE"?

How many of these are known, 2 or 4?

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
One with the single digit date, one with two digit date, one with four digit date and fourth is I didn't get the information or failed to ask as to what was the amount of digits in the date. All were waffenamted accepted with WaA101 and with the P.08 stamped on back side.

·
Registered
185 Posts
F.Y.I. The P08 cdg 4 holster that "huggiebear" photographed and shared with the forum contains a 1944 Krieghoff serial #11257. The pictures were taken at the September 2003 NAPCA Convention in Chattanooga Tennessee and is owned by me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I saw that serial number and had to go check my spare mags. Nope I have 11321 not 11231. Close but no cigar.Regards Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.