Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do they exist? i gather i need a good book to read up on them. Having seen a 1944 jhv date wasnt sure if it was rare, common or fake. thanks.

·
Silver Bullet Member
831 Posts
According to the best website I know of, the following is true: "The 2nd contract for an additional 35,000 Pistole 37(u) was started in 1943. These pistols were marked 'jhv 43' and 'WaA173'. Production ended in March 1944 after a total of 85,000 or so had been produced under contract. "

Guns made in 1944, but marked 43, when the contract was started.

Hungarian Weapons Frommer P37 Pistol

·
Registered
626 Posts
Your pistol "looks" legitimate...I also have never seen a jhv/44 code Luftwaffe Contract Femaru...very nice example...

Only Luft. contract pistols that I know if are the jhv/41 & jhv/43...I myself have a 98% jhv/43 w/both original factory issued magazines...as I mentioned earlier...it "looks" legit and I believe it is, simply not well known...I would DEFINITELY hold on to it...Congrats...

Edward

·
Silver Bullet Member
831 Posts
Very interesting, anything is possible. I have a later serial number serial number marked jhv43. The jhv44 looks legitimate to me also. Perhaps only a small number were stamped as 44 until someone decided that the number should not change and reverted back to 43.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

Trigger Wood Air gun Material property Gas

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
well.....that is strange. Never saw one and from the reported information, it shouldn't exist. The reported jhv 43 marked guns range from serial number 50,000 to around 80,000. even guns with serial numbers after yours like 78,200 and 80,709 are still marked as jhv43. So I have no clue. that being said, the gun appears legit. The finish is proper. The waffenamt, while sloppy, looks legit. There does not appear to be any indication someone remarked the slide. I would say you have a rare anomaly that I can not explain. I would snap it up, if its not yours and is available.

·
Silver Bullet Member
831 Posts
I'd sure like to have it in my collection. Perhaps this "jhv44" was an early January 1944 fulfillment of the contract and some small number were marked as "44." Inspectors caught it and decided that they should all be marked jhv43 but some got through before it was corrected. The serial number of 72828 kind of fits with being late in the production of the 85,000 supposedly fulfilled under the contract.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'd sure like to have it in my collection. Perhaps this "jhv44" was an early January 1944 fulfillment of the contract and some small number were marked as "44." Inspectors caught it and decided that they should all be marked jhv43 but some got through before it was corrected. The serial number of 72828 kind of fits with being late in the production of the 85,000 supposedly fulfilled under the contract.
Totally simple and logical...stuff happens...
Probably someone newly assigned thought it should be a "44 strike", and there you are...

Or maybe after lunch one afternoon, the Hungarian inspector had a little too much palinka (whiskey) , Just like the Germans have a short beer, while having lunch...the war be damned...you never know...

A cool anomaly...👍😎

Edward

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I like your thought about the "small contract that were marked as 44" that is very plausible!!! It is no different than the Mab D's. They have a known serial number range of 47,000 to 97,000 however there is also 1150 "L" guns out there ! to this day no one knows for whom they were made, only that they were made under German control. So most likely a small contract for someone. This Femaru could very easily be the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have not read postings in a while, stumbled upon yours and thought I may add some information.
You have indicated that you have seen the JHV 44 coded example Sn#72829. This pistol is described by John James ( automag xxxvi issue 6 page 129.) It was a pistol in his collection that he was asked to describe to the fraternity at the time. Speculation was that this may have been one of the first pistols on the production line Jan 1st 1944, as the JHV44 code would indicate. The rationale is that a worker realized that it was the start of a new calendar year and changed the die to reflect that. After a very short time a supervisor realized the error and the die was corrected to the code. Speculation is that not more than a dozen were so marked, if any more at all. My Sn data brackets the pistol between Sn#72706 JHV 43 and Sn#72848 JHV 43 Norwegian Police marked Politi 5941. This pistol is truly an anomaly and may be one of a surviving kind, as a few other P.Mod. 37's have proven to be. Any information as to where this pistol is located would be greatly appreciated for my data bank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts