Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need advice - just bought a Luger that is in 30 cal, not 9mm.

Where can I find ammo for this ?

Also, need reloading advice - what size reloading die set, size brass, bullet weihgts , etc. ?

Thanks,

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Fiocci currently manufactures ammunition in .30 Luger, it is about $25/box of 50, and is too underpowered to reliably operate a Luger with a strong recoil spring.

Winchester .30 Luger can be found very occasionally, I've never had the opportunity to either price it or shoot it.

You might find custom reloads at a larger gun show.

--Dwight

·
Registered
594 Posts
Lawrence -

I have a 1920 DWM .30 Luger shooter in which I use Fiocci ammo without problems; probably I don't have a strong recoil spring. The Fiocci is priced lower than any other ammunition I have been able to find on the Internet, so it might be worth your time to try a box of them. I bought mine from OUTDOOR INTERACTIVE for $17.99 per box including shipping.

http://www.allabouthunting.com/stor...urer=FIOCCHI&model=FIOCCHI+HANDGUN+AMMUNITION

They currently list the ammo as $16.45 per box, but they are "Out of Stock."

If they do not properly operate your Luger you can have a weaker recoil spring installed. I don't have any personal experience with such a modification, but it has been discussed on the other Luger Forum on more than one occasion by shooters more experienced than I.

Good luck.
Luke

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,819 Posts
Lawrence,

I have had some problems using Fiocchi, due to the different strenghts of the recoil springs. I solved the problem by making my own cardridges. Redding has a dice set for .30 Luger, it is working fine for me: # 80250.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/PDF files/seriesd.pdf

The good news is that Star will start producing the brass this spring, so that you do not need to resize and trim 9mm Para shells anymore.

http://www.starlinebrass.com/newproduct.html

Bullets in .30 can be found at Speer and several other places, a weight of 92 grains is perfect. I prefer not to give you my loading chart, reloading is a too secure job, and it depends on the brand and type of powder you want to use.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Lwernce,
once .30 Luger was one of the more common pistol calibres here in Europe. It´s still preferred by many to the ubiquitous 9mm. But it´s now getting harder to find as the years go by. There are no German manufacturers left; Lapua was once made very reliable 7.65 Luger rounds. So it´s now Fiocchi or re-loading old cases. Fiocchi works fine in my 7.65 Navy Luger and I bought as much as I could afford as even cases were getting hard to find. But I haven´t been able to re-load Fiocchi cases. Even enlarging the case neck doesn´t stop the shoulder collapsing when the bullet is seated. But re-sizing .223 REM (cases can be found at almost every range) provides excellent .30 Luger. It does take a bit of time, as the cases are sized, cut to length and neck reamed. You´ll need RCBS P/N 581823 together with shell holder #10.

Hope this helps

Patrick

·
238 Posts
To All: I do have berdan primed Fiocchi and Geco 30 luger ammo in stock @$25/box of 50 or boxer primed Remington or Winchester @$35/box. Tom Heller POB 398 St.Charles, MO. 63302.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.