Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever came across a single digit gun ? The only thing besides the # 8 on the gun is the commercial stamp. Nickel mag unnumbered wood bottom. DWM on the toggle. It's my Dad's pistol and I always wondered what year it was made. Thanks Kysunfish

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
kysunfish

Welcome to the luger forum. Highly unlikely that yours is a single digit commercial luger unless I am terribly wrong. Commercial production is believed to have continued throughout the years with sequential numbering, so with that in mind you would have to possess one of the very earliest of lugers. It is possible that yours is a military example and thier would be several over the years that would have single digit serial numbers without a letter suffix. Also if you have a contract variation they also started with a single digit and continued upwards.

Could you tell us more about your luger, short of pictures that say a thousand words try and account for all the markings and where they are located on the luger,material grips are made out of, length of barrel, caliber of gun if you know it, and describe the colour of small parts, ie ( blued or strawed).

By way of the commercial stamp can you be more explicit.

The nickel mag with wood bottom is early production. The luger will be between 1900 and 1930 with an absence after WW#1 untill 1923.Production resumed again starting at aproximately serial number 73500 .In 1930 DWM ceased production, although at that time serial number ranges were up to 96000 before mauser took over so you see what I mean about the comment of "highly unlikely" as the 1900 commercial model started with 01 as the starting serial number.

Hope the information is helpfull and you post more info on your fathers luger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stamp looks sorta like a crown with a n under it. 4in barrel with thinning blue, wood grips, It's a 30 cal with stock lug and laynard ring. I'm going to his home (My Dads) next week and I'll look it over real good and make some pictures. I don't believe that the gun is worth that much or rare. I'd just like to know the story on the single digit. Did pistols made for the army have Nitro Proofs ? I've been around 4 lugars in my life and 3 were Imperial 2 were 30 cals. You would not have to know a lot about them to shade me. I can take them apart and I can tell if one is loaded in the dark. Thats about it. Thanks for trying I'll post some more in about 10 days. Kysunfish

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Kysunfish

The crown/N stamp is a German Nitro commercial proof found on lugers produced after 1920.

When you measure your barrel make sure the action is closed and insert a pencil blunt end down and take this measurement, commercial barrels of the 1920 commercial can be found in several lenghts.

If indeed your luger is a 1920 commercial it very well could have a single digit serial number and I would then stand corrected on that point, it is definetly not a early commercial as the proof for these would have the crown/N laying on it's side commonly referred to as a lazy N.

Would be very helpfull if you could look for a made in Germany stamp or Germany stamp.

You need not worry about anyone trying to shade you as you put it on this forum. This forum is a respectable forum that members utilize to help others and to put knowledge forth about our collective hobby.The members you will find that try and help others are all students of knowledge and this is the foremost reason that I enjoy assisting others.The only dumb question is the one that is not asked.

As to your last question " will you find nitro proofs on military lugers" Yes but not intentionally, lugers were procured and taken out of commercial production to fullfill the needs of the military when the military deemed it necessary and were then found to be serialed in both military and commercial placement.

When you take your luger apart in the dark make sure it is unloaded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.