Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting one of my favorite groupings from my collection today, my Polish Eagles. If anyone would like to offer their opinion on the additional markings on the 36' right and left frame, I'd appreciate that. Having researched the issue extensively without much success, I've come to the conclusion that they are regiment or unit markings. The forum's help is appreciated. The pictures go in order, 36'-39' Delta and I'll post the 39' in a reply post as it's in a separate Polish resistance display and the 11th and 12th picture..

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm posting one of my favorite groupings from my collection today, my Polish Eagles. If anyone would like to offer their opinion on the additional markings on the 36' right and left frame, I'd appreciate that. Having researched the issue extensively without much success, I've come to the conclusion that they are regiment or unit markings. The forum's help is appreciated. The pictures go in order, 36'-39' Delta and I'll post the 39' in a reply post as it's in a separate Polish resistance display and the 11th and 12th picture..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
I have several books on the vis 35 and neither of them have any pictures or mention of regiment or unit marks...Bill

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have several books on the vis 35 and neither of them have any pictures or mention of regiment or unit marks...Bill
Right!? I’ve got the same books. It’s one of those odd set of marks that I’m waiting for that one collector to know what they are.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have yet to get to add a pre-war polish to my collection. therefore I really can't help in your quest, but just as a theory, if the books do not refer to the Polish using a number, could it be a unit mark of some sort put on by a different country after being captured? I cant really blow up the pic enough to see if the numbers were pre or post blueing. I can say you have a wonderful collection however!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have yet to get to add a pre-war polish to my collection. therefore I really can't help in your quest, but just as a theory, if the books do not refer to the Polish using a number, could it be a unit mark of some sort put on by a different country after being captured? I cant really blow up the pic enough to see if the numbers were pre or post blueing. I can say you have a wonderful collection however!
They appear post bluing to me for sure. I’m blowing up pics now and willl post here. The “9L” has a small “9” perpendicular to the larger “L”. Very odd...

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had 1936 #0949, that was given to a Zionist paramilitary group by the Polish govt. It made its way to Israel, where it became my carry gun in the 1980s. I had no markings like yours at all. Not much to go on, but it leads me to believe yours are military markings, not factory.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had 1936 #0949, that was given to a Zionist paramilitary group by the Polish govt. It made its way to Israel, where it became my carry gun in the 1980s. I had no markings like yours at all. Not much to go on, but it leads me to believe yours are military markings, not factory.
Do you still have it? If not, what happened to it?

·
Registered
506 Posts
These are not polish markings.Polish made pistols were never marked with any markings.The music notes,hieroglifs,mushrooms ,turtles are the productions stampings and are quite different from the markings on your 36.There are many marked by Eastern Germany acquired(sunburst with unit number,VK in a circle standing for traffic police if I remember right or shields or british,flaring bomb etc)Stampings on your gun look like regimental or unit but most definitely not polish.I hope this helps

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It all helps. Thank you. That’s sort of where I think we all are at this point, as regimental markings. I do think the stamps on the delta trigger guard are very interesting as well. Having been through a repair and being re-stamped, the variety is robust.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
well, seeing the closeups of the marking are even more perplexing. It appears as if is a 91 on the horizontal then the 1 is over stamped on a 1 9 on the vertical. so it could be just a property number of the weapon, such as police. The number itself resembles Swedish numbers. at which point it could be a 9 with capital i . but then should contain a gun a property number.

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Do you still have it? If not, what happened to it?
When I returned to the US I thought about keeping it, but a gun dealer friend of mine convinced me that I could easily replace it here. Not knowing its history or "Eagle" value at the time, I foolishly followed his advice. I now have 3 Vis 35s, but sadly, no Eagles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Having been through a repair and being re-stamped, the variety is robust.
Your Delta trigger guard does not have any unusual marks only the factory employee's marks found on most pre war guns and a very important + mark indicating parts that did not meet the quality control. That + mark appears on many Delta pistol parts, including the trigger, slide stop, slide etc. Delta pistols did not come back to Radom for repairs. That is one of many legends some more difficult than others to accept. Delta was a series of pistols in 40000 to 42000 serial number range that were put together from parts that did not meet the strict quality standards and were offered to the Ministry of Defense with a substantial discount, but the Ministry balked and these were never purchased by the military. There are a lot less of these around than those pistols made in 1937 when almost entire Radom factory effort was directed to making rifles.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I returned to the US I thought about keeping it, but a gun dealer friend of mine convinced me that I could easily replace it here. Not knowing its history or "Eagle" value at the time, I foolishly followed his advice. I now have 3 Vis 35s, but sadly, no Eagles.
Oh my... Sorry to hear that. Do you have a record of the SN? I bet you could post it and someone will know who has that. It’s not an everyday gun. Who knows, you might be able to get it back. I’d even help look!

·
Registered
452 Posts
It was #0949. It's probably still sitting in the armory I ran. No possible way to get it now. I did keep the original mags, however, after I picked-up two aftermarket mags on a trip back to the US. Still with me.

·
Registered
452 Posts
No, sorry. I did take some pics of it, my Arty. Luger, and my nice East German AKM, but those weren't too good and are now lost to the sands of time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts