Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I 'm new at this, I posted info on my 38h over on new collectors board, but after looking further,it seems this is the more appropriate site. I have a ? as to what year my 38h may have been made, and any other info/ideas anyone else may have on it. It is as follows: orig hi polish blued, no safety, sn 261xxx, crown N proofed,marked "J.P.Sauer&Sohn Suhl CAL.7.65" on left side of slide, then "Patent" stamped on right side of slide, then at front of rt slide is what looks like a later stamping(neat,but does't match orig stamp letters) "Gewehr Richter Cottbus". The sights have traces of paint on them,red rear,yellow front.Thanks

·
Registered
569 Posts
Quite early and very </u>interesting!

May we have the complete Serial Number so I can share it with Jim Cate, the author?

I have asked Jim for some feedback on this gun and will advise what he says.

Orv

Orvel Law Reichert
P O Box 67
Vader WA 98593
360 245 3492 tel
360 245 3702 fax
360 520 6520 cel
[email protected]

·
Registered
569 Posts
Jim Cate Said:

Gewehr Richter Cottbus (Weapon [Rifle] Judge, Cottbus [a city], is a non-factory stamp that has been noted on other German weapons in years past.[this same inscription has been noted on Walther PPs and PPKs, and some small caliber rifles as well.] So far I have no idea what it supposively means.

If you want me to talk to the owner of this relatively early Sauer Model 38 H, I will be glad to do so.

Yes, I'd very much like to have the complete serial number to add to the database.

Orv

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Jim's translation of the words "Gewehr Richter Cottbus" is correct, but in this combination, Richter most probably is just a name. "Richter" is a common name in Germany. Appears to be a gun dealer's marking.

sauerfan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, very interesting! the complete sn is 261839. I obtained this pistol about 20 years ago from a retired NYC detective I used to work with,he had gotten it from his uncle, a WWII vet. He didn't like the cal., 32acp, so he trade me for an old Schwinn 10 speed bicycle I had. My father had brought back a P-38, but had given it away in the 50's.I have since bought a nice BYF 44,w/ holster,but it's not quite the same.......

·
Silver Bullet Member
323 Posts
Your Sauer is a correct Type I, probably made in March 1939. Production of the Model 38 didn't begin until November 1938. These early Sauers were commercial models, made before the military required the addition of a thumb safety, hence they do not have the thumb safety. They do have the high polish finish typical of the early M 38's. The additional stamping is probably an addition made by or for the original owner, which makes it somewhat unusual (ie. a personalised weapon). VERY Early models with a pinned in place mag release are VERY rare, later models with the screwed in place mag release are rare, but much less so. A correct Type I will have a red painted rear sight, and a yellow painted front sight.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Gentlemen,

It took a little while, but finally I found, what I was searching for: ads from Gewehr Richter, Cottbus. To be exact:

A. Richter, Gewehrfabr(ik), Cottbus.

The first ad shown comes from German hunting magazine "Deutsche Jäger-Zeitung" No. 24 of December 1918, the second was issued in "Deutsche Jäger-Zeitung" No 15 of May 20, 1920.

So, the "Gewehr Richter Cottbus " markings on this early Sauer 38 are dealer markings, no markings by or for the first owner.

Martin

Download Attachment: Gewehr_Richter1.jpg
116.68KB

Download Attachment: Gewehr_Richter2.jpg
39.99KB

·
Registered
569 Posts
Great stuff, Martin! I had written to the Chamber of Commerce in Cottbux but had no answer!

Po0ka....I would really like to see some photos of the Pistol!

Orv

Orvel Law Reichert
P O Box 67
Vader WA 98593
360 245 3492 tel
360 245 3702 fax
360 520 6520 cel
[email protected]

Quote: "Can I draw you a beer Norm ?"
"No, I know what they look like. Just pour me one."
-- c h e e r s

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.