Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Hi Alex, What is the marking on? If it's on an Imperial Luger?

4.A.F.= 4Th Fussartillerie (Foot Artillery)
3.= 3rd Batterie
2.M.= 2nd Munitions Column
6.= Weapon #

If it is a Weimar Army unit? It would be a bit different.

Ron

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Jan,
Would this be the Bavarian 4th Foot Artillery due to the date of the pistol? The Prussian 4th Foot Artillery wasn't formed until 1916 as part of the 217th Div. My speculation would be that this pistol may have been marked early in the war. Due to the "confused?" location of the mark. If so,it would have been part of the Jäger Division and the 89th.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Ron
Maybe I am missing something here. Please correct me if I am.

The 4th Foot Artillery Regiment (Prussian) was founded in 1864(Ruhmeshalle unsere alten Armee page 48). The 217 Division was formed in August 1916 on the Eastern Front and Bataillon III of 4th Foot Artilllery Regiment was part of the 217 Division(Noll page 176).

The Bavarian 4th Foot Arilllery Regiment was raised much later as my reference (Ruhmeshalle unsere alten Armee) does not list it as a pre-War Regiment(it only lists Bavarian Foot Artillery Regiments 1-3). The reference lists the Bavarian 4th Foot Arilllery Regiment as being part of the Deutsche Jager-Division in 26-4-18.
Jan

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Jan, I was confused by Noll's only reference to the 4th Artillery being part of the 217th. I assumed that it was also formed then. The only references I have are Noll's and 251 Divisions. I guess I did'nt look far enough. Thanks!

I am trying to determine why it is marked on the back strap, and that it is indeed an Imperial mark and not Weimar. Thanks again for the clarification.
Ron

Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.