Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi gentleman. .i have a few questions about a 41 byf that i inherited from my dad, he got it off a german prisoner in ww2. i had it checked out by a gunsmith. he said was the cleanest one he has seen in a long time. 95 % blue, all matching #s. mag too. he said i can shoot it right now. it's that clean. anyway, after wiping down the luger with gun oil, inside and out.( first time in 65 years )i did fire it. my question is should i have it professionally cleaned ??? i'm new to guns. the reason being is that i'm going to display the whole setup my dad brought back in my room. not shoot it anymore. then pass it down to my son. and so on. i also have the holster that was modified by the german soldier. also a 1936 hitler youth badge attatched to it, by the prisoner. i also have a paper signed by a lieutenent permitting pop to take the gun home. it has my fathers name. date, serial # etc....thanks.... tony

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,198 Posts
Tony.... Welcome to the board. You have a neat gift from your Dad. You should probably give it a good cleaning before you "retire" it. You may want to consider taking it back to the guy who checked it out for you and perhaps he can do that for you if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Tony, Dave gives good advice. A thorough cleaning by a qualified gunsmith can also expose any damaged or cracked parts that an inexperienced person would not notice.

Congratulations! And an honorable thing to do in keeping it in the family. Some people could'nt get rid of it fast enough. Guns are evil,you know.

Jesse Ventura had a great line. He said, " I have a safe full of guns. And I have'nt had one jump out and kill anyone yet."

Ron

·
Administrator
15,522 Posts
Tony, welcome to the forum. More than likely the holster was modified by US GI's, not that it matters. I collect stories of bring backs, will eventually self-publish a book on stories, if interested, please e-mail me, I'd like pictures and any "story" of your Pop's. It could be where he served, what he did in the army, etc., if you don't know the exact details of the "capture".

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.