Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just recently guided toward your web site, and I am impressed at the amount of knowledge available. Hopefully someone will recognize my info and be able to point me in the right direction.

I have a 41 byf "Black Widow" in quite respectible condition. I am interested in learning more about the markings that I found while admiring it for what it is. First, it has the serial # 1507 Ku (with two dots over the "u") on the left side of the receiver just behind the barrel union. On the bottom of the barrel is stamped S/42 approximately 1/4" forward of the receiver. On the bottom side of the barrel/receiver, each has an alignment mark, and between the alignment mark on the receiver and the lug that seats into the frame is stamped DF, with PG directly below. On the right side of the receiver is an "eagle" stamp, head pointing left with 2 "feathers" per wing, and ZA stamped inside (100% sure on the A, 90% on the Z, as it is faint). The same stamp appears on the left side of the barrel, just in front of the receiver. Just above the "bird" on the barrel is a stamp reading W154 with a vertical line between the W and the 1, and a horizontal line above and below the whole sequence. Another "bird" appears on the left side of the breechblock as described earlier, located up and to the right of the extractor pin. 07 is stamped on the side of the firing pin, behind byf on the center toggle link, on the extractor (which is a reddish copper color), on the tirgger sideplate in the center, on the sideplate locking bolt, on the trigger to the left of the pin that seats in the side cover, and at the top of the safety bar as well as on the safety lever. 42 is stamped on the underside of the safety lever. Gesichert is displayed in white when safety is on.

I gave as much detail as possible using as many of the correct names for parts as I was able to find. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My first and main concern is the serial number. Interesting combination of letters after the numbers.

Thank you again for the opportunity to be a part of this site.

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Christopher
It sounds like you have a 41 byf Ku. The actual designation for these interesting Lugers has yet to be determined. They were made up from left over parts hence the S/42 and 42 parts code parts stamps. Photographs of your Luger would greatly help.
Jan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I had the capability of posting photos, unfortunately I am tekno challenged. I had a guy at a gun show tell me that the Ku designated that it was Luftwaffe subcontract (hope I didn't slaughter the spelling)and was probably used by a pilot. That is the only info I have ever received to date. Is that a posibility?

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,118 Posts
Christopher...... Welcome to the group. I have a similar gun with the serial number 1622Ku. Tell me about the mag that is in the gun. You did a great job of discribing your Luger. I am very intersted in the whole Ku deal and would ask that if you should ever consider selling or trading your Ku that you would keep me in mind.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one. Thank you for your reply. The mag it came with is bare steel with an aluminum end. On the bottom, stamped into the aluminum is 1642 (so close, sorry) with a lower case g below it. This mag did fit the frame of my luger, but did not eject as smooth as I felt it should. I came across a fxo mag at a local gun show that matches the black finish of my Ku, and operates in and out much smoother.

I'm looking to purchase a holster. Do you know of a good place to start? Thanks.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,118 Posts
Christopher...... If the mag has a little eagle with drooping wings over the number 63 I would tell you that the mag belonged to a 1936 S/42 (Mauser) Luger. The fxo mag you acquired is probably closer to what was in it when it was "born". I have a Ku marked holster but it is the only one I have ever seen. This may be good news and this may be bad news............. I would suggest you look at gun shows and ebay for a holster dated 1940, 1941, or 1942. The Ku thing is still in the learning process......... and I find that very intereting....
Enjoy........... dave

·
238 Posts
Chris, As Jan mentioned, many of the parts on your KU, were left over Mauser spare parts when they ceased luger production in 1942, that were shipped to Kreighoff to complete their contact for the Luftwaffe. Most Luft Lugers actually went to the AAW (antiair warfare) units, which were under LW control. Most pilots were officers, and had to purchase their own pistol, and usually chose a smaller, cheaper type. Enlisted air crewmen were generally issued foreign made pistols (FN22, CZ27, P37U, etc) since the LW was at the tailend of small arms procurement and the chances of a bomber crew surviving to use them, if shot down, was slim at best. TH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.