Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my example of a "Black Widow" made in 1942. Nothing unusual but I like to think that it is special nonetheless.

Download Attachment: DSC01980.jpg
154.95 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01981.jpg
180.9 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01982.jpg
239.87 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01983.jpg
223.39 KB One might have noticed that even though this is a pigskin holster, three essential componets are of cowhide; namely , the hold down strap, the belt loops and the inside rear wall of holster body.

Download Attachment: DSC01984.jpg
114.14 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01985.jpg
157.3 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01986.jpg
220.5 KB There is a great need for someone to compile or construct a complete illustrations of all the known luger suffix's as there is not one presently ! This "E" is one of 5 known of the letter "E", but doubt if it is on anyone's list. Also shows that the barrel diameter stamping is omitted at this time.

Download Attachment: DSC01987.jpg
95.02 KB Notice the increase amount of beveling done on the edges of the middle toggle link.

Download Attachment: DSC01989.jpg
103.52 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01988.jpg
129.53 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01991.jpg
231.77 KB

Download Attachment: DSC01992.jpg
178.55 KB

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Huggie, you are absolutely correct about the lack of the bore gage on this pistol!! The majority of the bore gage data that I have indicates the change over was in the E-Block, but some have shown up as early as the Z-Block of the 41 byf pistols!!!

Good presentation!!! Thanks a bunch!!

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,819 Posts
Huggie,

Thank you for this nice presentation. I wonder what you do to give the surface of this fine byf such a glamourous shining appearance... Please reveal me the secret :)

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Joop, I am afraid that Mauser had more to do with it than anything I did. I have always noticed that with the 1941 and 1942 byf's, the bluing became much more darker, especially 1942's, than in previous years production. In fact, the 1942 Mauser Banner commercials are almost black in color. I have contributed this to the bluing salts that were used or the temperature of the bluing tank solution one. Sorry no trade secrets on my part !!!

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,819 Posts
kk,

After reading your comment, I took some of my byf's and 42's and took them under a bright light. You are right (of course). I never read something about Mauser changing the composition of the salts used for the bluing, but now I think they did. It must have been taken place just before or after the production of the 42 - 41.
Thanks for the tip - I learned from it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Huggiebear,

I just read your excellent presentation on your pistol and realized that I have one in the "e" block as well. My byf 42 is exactly as you have described yours with the serial number of 9xxx e. I too had noticed the deep beveling on the toggle and the lack of a barrel diameter stamp. Very interesting, as I have had this particular luger since 1960 or before.

George

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.