Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I picked up this magazine yesterday, I was a little confused since it is nickel plated, shouldn't it be blued with an aluminum bottom marked with code 42 as a replacement mag?
Damijan
Musical instrument Wood String instrument Folk instrument Plucked string instruments
Wood Hardwood Fashion accessory Metal Plank
Gas Household hardware Auto part Metal Titanium
Wood Household hardware Auto part Gun accessory Nickel
Auto part Wood Household hardware Gas Metal

· Premium Member
714 Posts
I have seen several in this configuration, and owned a few as well. It would make sense to have a blued tube yes with just the 42 mark. I would also have to believe that being replacements would mean the mag tube could have been for let’s say a 1936 s/42 and just the mag bottom was messed up in late 1939….armorer fixed it with a 42 stamped bottom and sent it back to the front etc… make sense?

· Registered
354 Posts
I have seen several in this configuration, and owned a few as well. It would make sense to have a blued tube yes with just the 42 mark. I would also have to believe that being replacements would mean the mag tube could have been for let’s say a 1936 s/42 and just the mag bottom was messed up in late 1939….armorer fixed it with a 42 stamped bottom and sent it back to the front etc… make sense?
That’s possible but I tend to believe most of that type of thing would have been done to repair the more likely damaged wood bottom magazines still in service during the late 1930s and later. This magazine may well have originally been a wood bottom pre mid 1920s or earlier. I also believe that 1930s era police re-works routinely replaced the wooden bottom pieces with aluminum replacements, not generally s/42 or 42 marked as these wound not normally have been in the police parts system (maybe sometimes) but it was the same principle.

· Premium Member
714 Posts
That’s possible but I tend to believe most of that type of thing would have been done to repair the more likely damaged wood bottom magazines still in service during the late 1930s and later. This magazine may well have originally been a wood bottom pre mid 1920s or earlier. I also believe that 1930s era police re-works routinely replaced the wooden bottom pieces with aluminum replacements, not generally s/42 or 42 marked as these wound not normally have been in the police parts system (maybe sometimes) but it was the same principle.
I agree with you, I was just making an example. To me it looks like an Erfurt mag tube with that color. Jim kemp or GT could comment as they are experts in the matter. Still like the mag though.

· Registered
354 Posts
We were laughing maybe 1941 or 2001 , could have been wartime or postwar Bubba 😆
Again most anything is possible but this one looks to have an old dark hardened grease and grunge around the join of the bottom and the body. Anything can be faked, but why? Where did the 42 bottom come from, just laying around? I don’t know but the bigger question IMO and really the only question is did Mauser supply just these mag bottoms as replacements or was it ONLY complete magazines? As I wrote earlier it seems based on my observations that the police definitely modernized wood bottom magazines but I don’t know about the Wehrmacht.

· Registered
2,209 Posts
One must ask oneself......would an armorer in WW2 really replace a mag bottom? Or just hand you a new 42 code magazine.

I vote for somebody with a box of messed up magazines and magazine parts having put it together long ago.

· Registered
354 Posts
One must ask oneself......would an armorer in WW2 really replace a mag bottom? Or just hand you a new 42 code magazine.

I vote for somebody with a box of messed up magazines and magazine parts having put it together long ago.
We have to keep in mind that 42 and S/42 marked parts were also and perhaps primarily supplied to repair arsenals not just field armorers. I think whenever the words “armorer” or even “re-work” are used there is probably 100 different mental images as to what that looks like for 100 different people. I tend to agree that some type of unit level armorer probably would not be rebuilding magazines but I’m not sure that one of the arsenals/depots doing a lot of upgrade to WWI and Weimar era Lugers was not doing some. I guess the argument can made that if wood bottom replacement was common at arsenal level rework we would see many more examples

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you guys, I appreciate each of your replies!
Anything is possible and we will never know when and who replaced the bottom, however it is for now with this piece, after all that's why I bought it because there was a Swiss mag in the gun.
Damijan
Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Everyday carry
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver
Tire Automotive tire Houseplant Auto part Carbon

· Administrator
16,738 Posts
At least in 1936 they were issuing nickel mags

much earlier, K dates

I need to look in Joop's and Don's
Looks like up to 1938

1 - 18 of 18 Posts