Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Since for years l shot bullseye matches for the 38 and 45 caliber l used flat nose bullets and l had the same issues. A qualified gun Smith made some changes to the feedramp and this solved the issue.
Happy Hunting!
Peter

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since for years l shot bullseye matches for the 38 and 45 caliber l used flat nose bullets and l had the same issues. A qualified gun Smith made some changes to the feedramp and this solved the issue.
Happy Hunting!
Peter
Hey Peter,
Thanks for your reply, so you used to had issues with flat nose ammo in your high power?
Cheers

· Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Hey Peter,
Thanks for your reply, so you used to had issues with flat nose ammo in your high power?
Cheers
Sorry about this, I should have mentioned that this issue was with 1911 style Colts, but I also need to mention that any pistols design of the feedramp or even the mag is not intended for using flatnose bullets that is unless you purchase a match gun indented for bullseye shooting. This being said go to roundnose and I am sure your HP will feed those just fine.
Happy Hunting!
Peter

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about this, I should have mentioned that this issue was with 1911 style Colts, but I also need to mention that any pistols design of the feedramp or even the mag is not intended for using flatnose bullets that is unless you purchase a match gun indented for bullseye shooting. This being said go to roundnose and I am sure your HP will feed those just fine.
Happy Hunting!
Peter
Hey Peter
Thank you very much
Cheers

· Registered
2,164 Posts
The original military 9mm Luger cartridge was loaded with a truncated cone (flat nose) bullet. The chambers were stepped with the first couple of millimeters reduced in diameter to provide a better seal. Today, more than 100 years later, some manufacturers continue to use a stepped chamber. Walther is one and Grand Power also in the Stribog PCC. A case fired in a stepped chamber will display a slightly reduced diameter at the mouth.

The Germans used a truncated cone bullet until 1916 when the Allies filed a complaint in the International Courts that the TC bullets caused unnecessary suffering and were inhumane. It was a propaganda move but the Germans changed to a round nose bullet and existing supplies of the TC cartridges were used for training.

But the question is, do they work? Short answer is yes, they do... in my guns, at least. The picture below shows how I load the Berry 115 grain flat nose bullet for my guns that have stepped chambers or that will function with the bullet seated out as seen. I use 5.6 grains of Hodgdon CFE Pistol powder. Some of my 9mm pistols have short chambers and must have the bullet seated deeper but all of them function fine with that bullet. The cartridges on the left are those I use in my pistols chambered for the .30 Luger.

Glass bottle Solution Liquid Drink Bottle

· Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
Most European police departments now use slighlty expanding hollow points, capped with a plastic tip for reliable feeding. Most are solid brass, lead free.

But it is an interesting approach to avoiding feeding issues.

Reactions: Doubs

· Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
4 Generations of 'Action' type 9x19 for European Law Enforcement.

The green tip was designed to blow out, but did not perform well. Also officers were hit by bits of plastic while training.

Sports equipment Finger Font Rolling Magenta

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The original military 9mm Luger cartridge was loaded with a truncated cone (flat nose) bullet. The chambers were stepped with the first couple of millimeters reduced in diameter to provide a better seal. Today, more than 100 years later, some manufacturers continue to use a stepped chamber. Walther is one and Grand Power also in the Stribog PCC. A case fired in a stepped chamber will display a slightly reduced diameter at the mouth.

The Germans used a truncated cone bullet until 1916 when the Allies filed a complaint in the International Courts that the TC bullets caused unnecessary suffering and were inhumane. It was a propaganda move but the Germans changed to a round nose bullet and existing supplies of the TC cartridges were used for training.

But the question is, do they work? Short answer is yes, they do... in my guns, at least. The picture below shows how I load the Berry 115 grain flat nose bullet for my guns that have stepped chambers or that will function with the bullet seated out as seen. I use 5.6 grains of Hodgdon CFE Pistol powder. Some of my 9mm pistols have short chambers and must have the bullet seated deeper but all of them function fine with that bullet. The cartridges on the left are those I use in my pistols chambered for the .30 Luger.

View attachment 673323
Hey Doubs
Thanks for your reply and for sharing this fascinating info, is the silver bullet in the middle a ,30 luger?
Most say that IMHO that the best defensive bullet is a TC (flat nose).
Cheers

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most European police departments now use slighlty expanding hollow points, capped with a plastic tip for reliable feeding. Most are solid brass, lead free.

But it is an interesting approach to avoiding feeding issues.
Hey Vlim
Reliable feeding for sure is a matter, that's why some guys say the 357 Sig is the best option.
Cheers

· Administrator
17,001 Posts
Some or most of the 'defensive' ammo you can buy has the plastic tip on them and is what I buy anymore.
My go too has always been Silvertips, but thats because I like how they look. Surprisingly the Remington HP I've bought works like a charm in my LP08 shooter and my S&W 39

Ed

Reactions: EddieM

· Registered
2,164 Posts
Hey Doubs Thanks for your reply and for sharing this fascinating info, is the silver bullet in the middle a ,30 luger?
The unloaded bullet is one that I cast and it is for the 30 Luger. Before loading it would be run through a "lubri-sizer" that swages it to the proper diameter and puts lubricant into the groove. I had the mold custom made. The design I sent had a wider "meplat" or nose but the mold maker made it pointier. It shoots great and is accurate but I'd still have preferred a wider nose.

· Registered
2,347 Posts
Some or most of the 'defensive' ammo you can buy has the plastic tip on them and is what I buy anymore.
My go too has always been Silvertips, but thats because I like how they look. Surprisingly the Remington HP I've bought works like a charm in my LP08 shooter and my S&W 39

Ed
Silver tip HP is my go to in werewolf country.

Shot a deer with my 45 last year, close range federal hydroshok got it done.

Anything hornady makes with a gel tip HP leaves a train wreck. Soft tip and flat half jacketed 44mag and .357 same. .350 legend has fantastic knock down at close range (sub 150yds) in soft tip. If taurus ever makes a revolver chambered for it I will have one. Been doing "ballistic tests" on deer for years. All test subjects were consumed.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Ed
Hey Ed,
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The unloaded bullet is one that I cast and it is for the 30 Luger. Before loading it would be run through a "lubri-sizer" that swages it to the proper diameter and puts lubricant into the groove. I had the mold custom made. The design I sent had a wider "meplat" or nose but the mold maker made it pointier. It shoots great and is accurate but I'd still have preferred a wider nose.
Nice, thanks for sharing.
What is that molds brand? Is that bullet made of lead? It reminds me of a piercing one.
Cheers

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Silver tip HP is my go to in werewolf country.

Shot a deer with my 45 last year, close range federal hydroshok got it done.

Anything hornady makes with a gel tip HP leaves a train wreck. Soft tip and flat half jacketed 44mag and .357 same. .350 legend has fantastic knock down at close range (sub 150yds) in soft tip. If taurus ever makes a revolver chambered for it I will have one. Been doing "ballistic tests" on deer for years. All test subjects were consumed.
Hey John,
Thanks for sharing
Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.