Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am voting "yes".

Got this example at auction. Turns out it was incorrectly described, the hold open was missing, presumed broken off since the pin is still in place. I am in communication with the auction house, I suspect they will either offer a refund, either full or partial.

In any event, on closer examination I think that the thing was refinished. Tell me what you think.

First, there is no evidence of a halo on the barrel serial.
Font Silver Artifact Rectangle Metal

The example in question is to the right. On the left is a photo of a "good" 1915.

Another point is that there is a fair amount of shallow pitting over the barrel. It is all filled with blue.

The inside (of the receiver) is in the white. correctly. The muzzle crown is blued.

The rest of the thing looks good, to my eye but the barrel is dodgy.

Thoughts?

· Registered
Blossoming Luger Addict - 1906 P04, 1917 Erfurt
118 Posts
In all honesty, I can’t see the halos I’m the good picture in the left and don’t see many differences between the two pictured serials.
My eyes aren’t as keen as some others, but I can’t really determine much from the picture you provided. Would you be able to send more pictures of the whole firearm and some of the things that concern you?

· Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure but the issue with the barrel is the lack of halos. Let me see if I can get a better pic.

· Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a clear halo
Artifact Font Art Metal Monochrome photography

Around the "6". Right?

Font Cylinder Metal Glass Event

No halo.

· Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone needs to refresh my memory. I seem to recall that if a luger was factory rebarrelled, there would be no halo bacause the barrel was stamped with the serial prior to bluing. That sound right? But isn't there a stamp that indicated a factory intervention?

· Registered
118 Posts
Someone needs to refresh my memory. I seem to recall that if a luger was factory rebarrelled, there would be no halo bacause the barrel was stamped with the serial prior to bluing. That sound right? But isn't there a stamp that indicated a factory intervention?
I would be interesting on hearing about this too.

· Registered
118 Posts
Do you have any other concerns with the finish besides the halos and blued over pitting? The barrel definitely seems to have had a poor quality blueing with that plummy you don’t often see on imperial era rust blued (correct me if I’m wrong). I personally can’t make a hard call without seeing other parts of the gun.

· Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fortunately, I have a number of Imperial Lugers to compare it to. The ears, on closer examination, show striations rather than the usual circular mill marks.
Road surface Wood Asphalt Grey Automotive tire

And here, just above the right grip
Automotive tire Road surface Wood Asphalt Grass

· Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you back out you cant see the marks.

· Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dunno ... I see similar patterns on other examples.

· Super Moderator
5,994 Posts
Let me see. What are the chances that a WW1 built military pistol got refinished during a probable 30 years of service in 2 world wars and the turbulent times inbetween? Hmm... difficult...

The Dutch refurbished their Lugers every 7 years, for example. Their UZI's, bought in 1961, needed a first overhaul in 1963.

So the question should not be whether it was refinished, but how many times it was refinished.

Reactions: Daniel76

· Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really don't know what the policy was. Are there references?

Are you suggesting that all or most Imperial lugers are refinished?

Why would a seemingly large proportion of examples show halos on the serials on the barrels?

I'm not trying to be difficult but it seems to me that blanket pronouncements need some support.

· Super Moderator
5,994 Posts
I think many, many Lugers that are identified as 'original finish' have been redone at least once during service life. Blue is like paint on a car, it only lasts that long during normal use.

The army repair depots had the material and ability to reblue/refinish.

The Swiss army is well known for having their Lugers overhauled, repaired and refinished when needed. Dutch did it, Portugal did it, so no need to doubt Germany did it.

· Super Moderator
5,994 Posts
Copies from the army instruction magazine.

A bit from 1940 introduces salt (dip) bluing as an alternative to dip bluing, instructions in H.Dv.376.

A bit from 1941 discussed limitation of rebluing to a select group of strongly worn items only, including handguns. Rebluing is only allowed for unit that have the available means to do so.
Newspaper Font Publication Paper Parallel

Font Material property Parallel Document Symmetry

· Super Moderator
5,994 Posts
Interestingly, a separate instruction banned the installation of new barrels and assembly of guns from parts at lower echelons, because of the lack of proper testing and proofing capabilities on those levels.

Which suggests they were rebarreling and building parts guns there.

· Registered
118 Posts
Interestingly, a separate instruction banned the installation of new barrels and assembly of guns from parts at lower echelons, because of the lack of proper testing and proofing capabilities on those levels.

Which suggests they were rebarreling and building parts guns there.
Very interesting information. Thanks for sharing the knowledge 👍🏻

· Premium Member
72 Posts
That said, the Lugers that still have barrel halos and excellent finish were safe queens? If period re-blueing is such a common practice why is so much made of barrel halos? Lastly, perhaps sellers should be a bit more careful when claiming original finish....

Excellent info Vlim!

· Super Moderator
5,994 Posts
They would clean them up after bluing, I'd expect.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts