Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm posting pictures of an all matching Artillery Luger rig including the shoulder stock.. I would appreciate your take a ball park value? (The one sight picture is of a Target Colt not the Artillery …. My mistake)
Thanks for looking,
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Congrats, Joe:
It is nice to see an original(not boosted) matching stock!
Nice gun as well.
The leather looks good.
The only questionable item is the shoulder strap - I thought the edges were supposed to be welted...
Lets see what Jerry says..
Value: about $5500-6000? depending on overall condition(grip straps, etc)...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I won't comment on possible value except to say that I can't agree with Mouser's estimate. The shortened barrel and front sight have ruined collector value of the pistol. That's a pity because it's otherwise a very nice set. The stock appears to be good and is worth quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I won't comment on possible value except to say that I can't agree with Mouser's estimate. The shortened barrel and front sight have ruined collector value of the pistol. That's a pity because it's otherwise a very nice set. The stock appears to be good and is worth quite a bit.
The sight you see was from a Colt revolver ..... (I removed the Colt picture)....... These are the real pictures of the sight )

Attachments

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
english ----- Really a beautiful 1917 Artillery rig with holster & stock. What does Doubs mean by "shortened barrel" ?? The barrel didn't look shortened to me. I'd still say you have a very desirable and valuable assembly there. Does your luger have fine tune sights ? In one of your photos it looked like there was a fine tune rear sight.

I have two 1917 Art. pieces and a 1915 dated holster, stock and shoulder strap assembly. I posted photos of that here a few weeks ago. I was anxious to see photos of yours and kinda compare it to my stuff. I have a repro. Art. holster, stock and strap to attach to an Art. piece when I want to shoot one of them maybe once a year. I never shoot anything but my own reloaded ammo when I do shoot one of them Thanks for showing your recent purchase and congratulations on a very nice set.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
What does Doubs mean by "shortened barrel" ?? The barrel didn't look shortened to me.
After I commented, the pictures were changed. The OP had inadvertently posted a picture of a Colt revolver front sight and not the correct Artillery front sight. The correct picture changes the equation of value considerably.

The OP's Luger shows the first modification to the Artillery Lugers by eliminating the fine tune front sight. It does have the fine tune rear sight which was eliminated later in 1917.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,021 Posts
The only questionable item is the shoulder strap - I thought the edges were supposed to be welted...
Lets see what Jerry says.. Jerry says the strap ..from what little of it Jerry can see it is not original to this set. One, it is way too new for a 100+ year old strap. plus it has no adjustment holes! The one stud/rivet I see is punched into the strap..yes, there is no welting.. The other brass stud is on a rounded end and original Artillery straps had square ends. but I am betting the strap is a poor replacement.

Reactions: english

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lets see what Jerry says.. Jerry says the strap ..from what little of it Jerry can see it is not original to this set. One, it is way too new for a 100+ year old strap. plus it has no adjustment holes! The one stud/rivet I see is punched into the strap..yes, there is no welting.. The other brass stud is on a rounded end and original Artillery straps had square ends. but I am betting the strap is a poor replacement.
Jerry, I was told the strap, when I acquired it, was a replacement....The person who replaced it matched the color perfectly? Jerry, Could you make a better one (strap) as a replacement........A better looking replacement, or just leave it alone??

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forum members, all your comments are appreciated. I've been here for almost 20 years, and I'm still learning from the more experienced collectors like Val and other members.
Thank you,
Joe

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
english ----- You have been a member here for 20+ years and I'm sure much of what you have said and shown here has been very informative. Why in the world do others in this forum seem to take pleasure in picking apart your entries over the smallest details ? I wouldn't think such treatment of "old time" members does much to encourage new membership.

·
11,021 Posts
english ----- You have been a member here for 20+ years and I'm sure much of what you have said and shown here has been very informative. Why in the world do others in this forum seem to take pleasure in picking apart your entries over the smallest details ? I wouldn't think such treatment of "old time" members does much to encourage new membership.
Most collectors want to know what's correct. Members often help with that. It might not suit you but it works for most of us. What SHOULD encourage new members is that "old" members take the time & effort to tell it like it is instead of avoiding "hurting your feelings" I care about accuracy not how thick your hide is. I don't spend my valuable time here to sooth your feelings.

·
11,021 Posts
Jerry, I was told the strap, when I acquired it, was a replacement....The person who replaced it matched the color perfectly? Jerry, Could you make a better one (strap) as a replacement........A better looking replacement, or just leave it alone??
Joe, several ways to look at it..If you are happy then why change it? If I owned this nice rig, this strap would not make me happy. The rig is beautiful and anything less than what SHOULD be on it would irk my tender collector sensibilities. It would be incomplete and just wrong.
The other way to think about it is cost. An original strap would be VERY costly and I don't know if or when one might be available. In 30 years I have seen very few for sale.
I make a museum quality strap patterned from originals that have come into my shop. I hand age them as well as possible..I hand sew the keepers and provide beautifully crafted adjustment studs.I hand cut every hole. No finer repro strap is made by anyone on planet Earth IMHO. But they ain't cheap either. $125
I try to stay away from making decisions about spending other collectors money. Original carry straps have a poor survival rate. Apparently they broke, were discarded as cumbersome or removed and people forgot how to put them back on but a LOT of rigs don't have them.
But if you are happy with what ya got...yer good to go.

Reactions: english

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Left Hand Thunder, thanks for your kind comment, but our Forum members are very helpful and I do appreciate their straight forwardness. It helps me not to make too many mistakes!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The difference between a common Luger and one that is rare and much more valuable is often in the small details. Would you rather have an honest, up front evaluation or one that fails to point out important details and gives the owner an inflated value? In the second instant imagine what happens when the owner tries to sell their Luger only to be told that they've been given bad information. In many cases I think the members here give honest evaluations and save huge sums of money for those who would otherwise be taken in and pay far more than the item is worth. Is there really a diplomatic way to say that the Luger isn't what the owner thinks or says it is? I explain what I see and there's no intention to hurt anyone's feelings.

Here is another post from last evening that the OP thought the subject Luger would be priced at $5,000. I pointed out that the rear toggle has been replaced and that the front sight has also been changed or modified. Those details reduce value considerably IMO but the seller can ask whatever they desire and may find someone willing to pay it. I can only explain what I see and from there they are on their own. Swiss Parabellum pistols

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Thanks everyone, I've never gotten responses like this from just a short posting. Even when I've posted several photos with written descriptions of the photos I've only received one or two comments for a couple days and the post was largely forgotten. I suppose in I'll have to make similar posts to get more than a couple responses . Really I do appreciate that you guys have read my comment and were kind enough to say something about it. I hope you were serious with what you have written.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Doubs ---- I was able to get ahold of a stronger lens to look at the fine lettering on the "XX" out numbered luger's barrel. The numbers "8,83" under the barrel I thought were the bore diameter numbers in mm's are the numbers "5,53". I'm sure that isn't the bore diameter. Could that be a date number for May 1953, as you mentioned earlier? I'm not trying to make something out of nothing or my imagination.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts