Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I picked this up 4-5 years ago from a guy walking around the SOS’s in Louisville said he inherited it from his Grandfather.
Forgot the holster….

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The brown gripped pistols will become so rare that the next feeding frenzy will be
"RARE brown-gripped Lugers! Get them before they're gone!
BTW, that is a really nice pistol.
WHAT...!!!???...they also made them w/brown, real wooden grips...!!!???...Holy, moly...thats GOTTA be a new found variation...!!! ...Yes, she is a beauty...she must be so rare, I wouldn't even take her out in natural sunlight...
😎🇺🇲🌴

Edward

·
Registered
234 Posts
I believe “brown recluse” monicker refers to a BYF 41 or 42 with brown plastic grips?
No, it’s being applied to the wooden grip variation as there is no legit byf variation with HK brown type grips. I don’t want to use the nickname as many seem to think that will cause the price to double or maybe that only applies if Ralph Shattuck used the nickname, not sure. I’ve seen a number, maybe 5-6, in the condition with all the goodies like the one shown here, seek for over 5k some near 6k since late last year. Not sure really if black grips would boost them much at all.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was under impression that brown “Bakelite”type 1 grips were used on some of the Mauser Lugers. I had seen at least 3-4 over the past 15-20 years…
I think that you are correct but it was on some earlier Mausers like 39 or 40 guns I believe but I don’t think on any 41 or 42. Of course we are back to the essential problem and that is how to tell if something like unnumbered grips have been post factory installed or not. Today the motivation is money but back a few decades ago I think it was more personal taste by those who did not put an importance on originality. Really the whole grip swapping issue is not much different with swapping mismatched mags out for unnumbered fxo Bakelite or aluminum bottom mags on byf Lugers say made prior to the summer of 41 where most believe all were numbered and pre Bakelite bottom type was the only one used, but very difficult to prove.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts