Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
It was 1940 42code lugers, a smattering of brown HK Style and a handful of black type 1 It was determined the brown grips were made with the same mould as the black type 1 grips. I have wondered if it was a style or appearance experiment, and the black was an easier choice for the sake of uniformity. We'll never know.

So if you want the earliest recorded BW it's not a byf. 🤣

·
Registered
234 Posts
It was 1940 42code lugers, a smattering of brown HK Style and a handful of black type 1 It was determined the brown grips were made with the same mould as the black type 1 grips. I have wondered if it was a style or appearance experiment, and the black was an easier choice for the sake of uniformity. We'll never know.

So if you want the earliest recorded BW it's not a byf. 🤣
One thing about the use of these composition needs to be realized and that is the choice to use in place of wooden grips or to augment wooden grips was not made by Mauser but rather by the OKH on behalf of the OKW. Mauser may (or may not) have suggested then use of composition grips for any number of reasons and I can see some limited bide for evaluation purposes to have occurred in 1940. I believe if there was cost difference either lower or higher between the Bakelite grips and wooden grips that cost would have been adjusted. There is a possibility that if the Bakelite grips were cheaper and I believe that they would have been, Mauser may have been allowed to keep the difference. We are talking about a potential of 250,000 pistols so even .50 pfennigs (probably a couple of bucks in today’s terms, would have been pretty significant then.

·
Super Moderator
5,343 Posts
I think the HWaA could not care less about the type of material was used to make the grips, as long as they were functional and exchangeable. The HWaA did have a role in allocating raw materials to manufacturers but played little or no role in manufacturing processes or materials. As long as things were as specified and the responsible acceptance official signed them off, it was ok.

Even during the war Mauser was a commercial manufacturer and the HWaA was a paying customer.

I would look at a change from wood to bakelite as a supply problem. The wooden grips were usually made from offcuts of K98 stock production. Perhaps there were changes in K98 stock production in 1941 and later that influenced supply of material for P08 grips.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think the HWaA could not care less about the type of material was used to make the grips, as long as they were functional and exchangeable. The HWaA did have a role in allocating raw materials to manufacturers but played little or no role in manufacturing processes or materials. As long as things were as specified and the responsible acceptance official signed them off, it was ok.

Even during the war Mauser was a commercial manufacturer and the HWaA was a paying customer.

I would look at a change from wood to bakelite as a supply problem. The wooden grips were usually made from offcuts of K98 stock production. Perhaps there were changes in K98 stock production in 1941 and later that influenced supply of material for P08 grips.
I pretty much agree except there were specifications in the contract that had to be followed and if altered then mutually agreed to. One thing the Parabellum book makes very clear with a good bit of period source documentation. I agree with you that the move across all 98k makers to switch to laminate stocks starting in later 1937 and pretty much fully implemented by 1939 probably drove the lack of seasoned blanks in the system. My understanding is that seasoning time was typically several years so supply could be forecasted several years out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Now that is a stunning example. The more of these later Lugers I see, the more I want one. Very nice complete rig, did you get the holster accessories too? Like the tool, or the leather strap?
It was a complete rig…weapon, 2 FXO mags, DKK 42 holster and tool. The guy was walking around the SOS trying to sell it after no deal was made with a dealer I approached him we cut a deal.

·
Administrator
15,523 Posts
I have overpaid on an item I just had to have. Or, I use the commonalty (sp) test - its what I sometimes do, I ask myself, how often have I seen this? Or in this condition? or this year. Sometimes buying what I like may not be collectible to you, but thats okay too.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts