Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

A different generation.

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  kwill 
#1 ·
Thought I'd take a break from getting ready for Christmas. I've noticed a lot of people worry about getting too much oil on wood grips and stocks. When I grew up, you couldn't put too much oil of the wood. The reasoning being, when you take a gun out and drag it through swamps and muddy fields, the oil protected the wood. Manufacturers even offered hand rubbed oil finishes.
Here's a very early Colt's 1911 that has always lived by that thinking. In person, the grips appear to be almost as black as the pistol. In the picture, they look like the Walnut they were made of, a reddish brown. Guess I'll stick with gun oil.
Pat

See less See more
#3 ·
Mauser,
Yap, the early 1911's are works of art and craftsmanship. When they started Parkerizing them, they just became tools. A very good tool, but just a tool. I can't think of another gun I would want in my hand, in close combat, than 1911, .45.
Pat

#5 ·
Ed,
It's no Camp Perry gun, but it would scare you, how well it shoots. It throws them right where you're looking and it don't stutter.:)
Pat

#9 ·
Seems to work well on long guns, also. I've used for over 70 years, so yes, I think I'll stick with it.
Sam, I usually clean them, oil them and wipe them off, rubbing the metal very hard and the wood lightly.
Pat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.