Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am posting this here as it is relevant to proper gun nomenclature, and use of the English language when dealing with guns and other subjects.

I love the internet for its fantastic communication abilities, but I hate it for the proliferation of misinformation and mistakes....

Here are grammatical errors that are widespread. This is provided as educational information only. Maybe this can be a learning post for some.

BELGIUM” is a noun. This word only refers to the nation of Belgium and should not be used as an adjective.
Example: correct= I have a Browning made in Belgium. (incorrect = I have a Belgium Browning)

BELGIAN” is the proper adjective. Examples: correct = I have a Belgian Browning / These Belgian chocolates are delicious / I am of Belgian descent.

BELGIANS” (plural) is a noun and reflects the citizens of Belgium. Example: correct = Some Belgians are kind while others are bitter.

Misspellings of the above are also in widespread use and are: BELGUIM, BELGIAM.

Further there are a lot references to the city of “LUTTICH” instead of "LIEGE". That is the German spelling / pronunciation. This is only correct if you are speaking German or making reference to a wartime documents/names during the German occupation. It should not be used in daily/modern communication as it is an affront to many Belgians considering the wars and occupation. As an example, we talk about the city of "NEW ORLEANS", I have never heard an English speaker refer to the city as “La Nouvelle Orleans”, the latter being only correct if you are speaking in French.

See also my old posting on the difference between the High Power and Hi Power.

I hope that folks will see this as an aid to be correct in the use of grammar and terminology.

Anthony

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Thank you for posting this Anthony! I cannot tell you how many times I've seen someone say "Hey, I've got this cool Belgium made pistol!". No, you do not have a "Belgium" made pistol, you have a "Belgian" made pistol.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Absolutely right on; but I fear you are tilting at windmills.

Could you explain when "gift" became a verb in addition to being a noun? Everyone seems to be "gifting" these days, instead of "giving or bestowing a gift". Irks the s.... out of me!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for posting this Anthony! I cannot tell you how many times I've seen someone say "Hey, I've got this cool Belgium made pistol!". No, you do not have a "Belgium" made pistol, you have a "Belgian" made pistol.
Actually you have a pistol made in Belgium, perhaps by Belgian citizens or guest workers of Belgium.:p

·
Registered
872 Posts
As a Belgian living in Belgium amongst many other Belgians i say thank you Anthony :)
Let me just add the Dutch for Liège, Luik. Liège = Luik = Lüttich. Don't forget the accents ;-)

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Yep, "Belgium" and "repos" in one post!

Repo = when "they" come and take it back; repro= reproduction.

Lazy, or just plain ignorant misuse of the language.:(

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
5,317 Posts
As grammar seems to be the topic of the day, here goes.
Democrat is a noun, democratic is an adjective. To refer to the Democratic Party as the Democrat Party, as Republicans are wont to do, is incorrect.
Norm

·
Registered
290 Posts
I agree with Anthony, let us all be careful with our grammar and terminology and to steer this away from politics I am a bit of a stickler for correct usage but don't share Don's annoyance at the creeping use of the word "gift" as a verb. English, for all its richness, does not seem to have a single word for the action of giving as a gift unlike, say, the German "schenken". Ah, well, we'd better get back to Lugers.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
I will do you guys a favor and I will NOT lecture about Dutch guns :) If you thought Belgium was complicated....

Holland is actually not Holland, and there are 2 Hollands (North and South) which are part of a country called 'The Netherlands', which for some odd reason is plural in English but just 'Nederland' in Dutch. We are not Dutch but we are 'Nederlanders'. It is unwise to call someone from the Netherlands, who is not a resident of either North- or South-Holland, a 'Hollander'. Oh, and we are all part of a pan-European dictatorship called the 'European Union'. Nice concept, with the exception that we are not united in Europe and have no general desire to become united in Europe. The Netherlands is also part of a smaller union called the Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg). We are ok with that. Hope this helps. ;)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I was taught to use "an" when the next word begins with a vowel or a soft "h" such as "historical". I understand that the English language is ever evolving but when I see "a" preceding a word beginning with a vowel, it causes my teeth to grind. It's kind of like someone who says "You know?" after every sentence... annoying as hell. Rant off.

·
Moderator - Diamond Bullet Member
2,627 Posts
I agree with Anthony, let us all be careful with our grammar and terminology and to steer this away from politics I am a bit of a stickler for correct usage but don't share Don's annoyance at the creeping use of the word "gift" as a verb. English, for all its richness, does not seem to have a single word for the action of giving as a gift unlike, say, the German "schenken". Ah, well, we'd better get back to Lugers.

Mike
We do. In addition to the noun gift, the transitive verb gift has been around for sometime, contrary to some people's impression. Choosing gift over give makes the distinction that the item is a gift rather than something merely being transferred from one to another.

- - - Updated - - -

Could you explain when "gift" became a verb in addition to being a noun? Everyone seems to be "gifting" these days, instead of "giving or bestowing a gift". Irks the s.... out of me!
According to the Oxford English Dictionary, at least as long ago as the 1600's.

·
Registered
584 Posts
When selling guns online, it is about getting words into an ad that comes up most on searches. It is not about being grammatically correct.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When selling guns online, it is about getting words into an ad that comes up most on searches. It is not about being grammatically correct.
Really? So you assume that everybody uses incorrect grammar? I find this disturbing and exactly the point I am trying to make.

Anthony

- - - Updated - - -

Is there other gun makers in Belgium besides FN? FN is only one that I know as an outsider.
More than we can ever cover on this forum. Gun manufacturing was one of the country's leading manufacturing and export businesses.

Anthony

- - - Updated - - -

I will do you guys a favor and I will NOT lecture about Dutch guns :) If you thought Belgium was complicated....

Holland is actually not Holland, and there are 2 Hollands (North and South) which are part of a country called 'The Netherlands', which for some odd reason is plural in English but just 'Nederland' in Dutch. We are not Dutch but we are 'Nederlanders'. It is unwise to call someone from the Netherlands, who is not a resident of either North- or South-Holland, a 'Hollander'. Oh, and we are all part of a pan-European dictatorship called the 'European Union'. Nice concept, with the exception that we are not united in Europe and have no general desire to become united in Europe. The Netherlands is also part of a smaller union called the Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg). We are ok with that. Hope this helps. ;)
Yes, indeed. I stopped using "Holland" as a term for "The Netherlands" in my books as I learned the difference a few years ago. Good point!

Anthony

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was taught to use "an" when the next word begins with a vowel or a soft "h" such as "historical". I understand that the English language is ever evolving but when I see "a" preceding a word beginning with a vowel, it causes my teeth to grind. It's kind of like someone who says "You know?" after every sentence... annoying as hell. Rant off.
Here are some that really annoy me!

Fabrique National instead of Fabrique Nationale - this error is so widespread that it even showed up in a FN catalog as nobody bothered to check their work
Calvary instead of Cavalry
Repo instead of Repro

1 - 20 of 49 Posts