41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,078 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I would also like to add that the city Liège has a grave accent on the first 'e', to be pronounced: lee-yeige (rhyming with beige). This differs from 'liege', or 'a feudal superior to whom loyalty and allegiance are due', pronounce 'leege'.
To get back on topic: you are correct but there is an exception. I did not want to go there as it may confuse many…

In older French and Walloon (spoken in Liège) the city was spelled (and pronounced) Liége… For those attentive FN collectors, you may see this accent on older literature and boxes, especially around the turn of the century.

In more modern French, it became Liège. I do not know exactly when, but from observation I can state that most written documents have the modern spelling after World War II.

Not to confuse anybody, but wanted to point out the difference in accents and how these appear on old FN items.

Anthony

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes, Johnboy, Oklohomans must be a bit like Yorkshire folk but if you saw with whom I shared the cake I think I'd get an upgrade on my man card..... I'm on the left, she's on the right and I'm not sure about the one in the middle.
Anthony, the cake was much better than their grammar. This thread has really run and run. You started something instructive and amusing. What better way to learn!

Mike 041.JPG

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Yes, Johnboy, Oklohomans must be a bit like Yorkshire folk but if you saw with whom I shared the cake I think I'd get an upgrade on my man card..... I'm on the left, she's on the right and I'm not sure about the one in the middle.
Anthony, the cake was much better than their grammar. This thread has really run and run. You started something instructive and amusing. What better way to learn!

Mike View attachment 251513
Sounds like Okies and Yorkies would get along. I didn't say you can't go to the tea room with a purty girl. Just don't admit it. If anyone asks you wuz skinnin' a deer, or changing the oil in your big block. If you go see Barry Manilow with her don't tell anyone either :) Another thing I've taken away from this thread is Belgianese is one tough language!

·
Registered
311 Posts
This entire post reminds me of an old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn. With about as much importance.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I do consider grammar and accuracy important, I also do not like kids or strangers on my lawn :cool:

Anthony

41 - 49 of 49 Posts