Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up this Steyr at an auction in Pa this weekend. I always liked the look of them, and jumped when I saw this nice piece. I have been doing a little research on them to see what I have, and it looks like one of the last made in 1919. I don't know how high the serial numbers run, but this one is 9939Y. It is all matching including barrel, and except for two small pits near the slide serial number, its nearly perfect. All I can say is that this is an extremely well made piece for any firearm, let alone one made in the last days of WW1.

Anyone with info on this pistol please let me know.

Anyone know where I can get stripper clips and ammo at a reasonable cost. I'm dying to try this out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
GJ
Your gun is a very late gun assembled in 1919 or later.I can't see in your pics the proof it shoul bear on the right side of the trigger guard:it should be a NPv/eagle one,or it could be an Army '20/30 years one,or perhaps nothing.Most of the 1919 marked ones are some assembled in 1940 guns with 9mm para barrels and commercial Eagle/N + Eagle-L Police proofs proofs.My 1919 specimen is the #8395y with NPv/eagle proof(the commercial one in that years).Some of these guns were produced for the Italian Army as "war damage repair".Please let us know how is (or not)proofed your gun.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Gerald,
Very nice piece!! I use Fiocchi and Hirtenburger Patronen cartridges. One of the members of this forum has a Steyr that will not digest Fiocchi...it seems to be too long a case for his gun, so if you come upon a box of Fiocchi (US distributor has been back ordered for a year), try the fit first. I have one spare box of Hirtenburger for $20., but will not be at Allentown this May. I wouldn't take a chance mailing it. Too bad yours isn't the conversion to 9mm para. I have a few extra stripper clips for that one.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only proof I could find on the pistol is an austrian type eagle with no number on the left side of the lanyard ring.

How could I tell if it is converted to 9 mm? There are no 08 conversion marks or nazi marks anywhere.

OLEFOGEY, Where are you located. I live near Hershey.

By the way, I picked this up for $225 plus a $15 dealer transfer fee. I think I probably did very well, what is the estimated value of this?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Gerald
Look at the chamber.The 9mm Steyr is 4 mm longer than the 9mm.Para case.
Some guns were converted during the WW2 by welding in the chamber a 4 mm. tube for shortening the chamber and accomodate the 9 Para case.They needed also to enlarge the tooling in the receiver to accomodate the slightly bigger 9 Para case bottom.But very probably your one is a standard 9 Steyr one,built by using leftover parts(the Austrian Imperial Eagle on the lanyard loop) and some newly made ones(the receiver misses the K near the S for Sicherung and the frame misses the K that should be just below .Probably it was made for the Italian Army in 1919 or just later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Paolo, I received your email, and replied, but the mail did not go through. Thank you for your offer, and for the information you have provided on the gunboard.

I like the pistol very much, and value it in my collection. It is not for sale, as it is a very nice representative piece. At least I now have an idea what it is worth.

·
Silver Bullet Member
323 Posts
I got stripper clips for my two from SARCO. They are still listed on their web site. The 9mm Steyr clips work in both my 1912 and my eagle/L conversion. I lucked out and found 7 boxes of original RWS 9mm Steyr for $10 each. I shot some, and the old trooper worked great. The rest I'm keeping. Congratulations on a very nice piece at a bargain price.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
I have found that the stripper clips from SARCO do not hold my 9mm Steyr ammo....they are for 9mm parabellum which has a larger base diameter. I live in Yonkers NY Gerald. I don't know how close that is to Hershey. If you go to the Allentown Show, look for Jim Shaffer or call him at 412-672-6830. There is a good chance he would have those strippers. BTW, that purchase price was a steal!! Good Luck with it.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fushigi, Thanks, I just picked up some of those last weekend, but I want to try to get some original clips for display.

To All: If anyone out there can help out a hopeless collector, please let me know. I really want some original clips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.