Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

A little US Tank Corps history

832 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mdmorrissey 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked this holster up and started to do a little research on the solider whose name was written on the front/inside. What was kind of cool is that I didn't even notice any of the info written on the back side of the holster, which tied this man to the documents which I found during my research (being a member of the 304th Tank Bn (Heavy) when he shipped overseas. Not knowing much about the US Army Tank Corps in WWI, it was pretty interesting on how this branch of the service developed during the short time span that the US was in WWI. This man was part of the Tank Corps and arrived in France shortly before the war ended, negating the need for this branch and he was therefore likely transferred over to the Motor Transport Corps to work on the recovery of motorized vehicles after the war was over. I wonder whether he felt a sense of relief or let-down that their unit arrived too late to see any action during the war? Enjoy!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Mike, your research and presentations are always supreme, none better, and I've seen many. I collect US Military awards and have been to several conventions of the Orders and Medals Society of America. The displays are excellent and many of my friends have received awards for their presentations. You bring the person and their history alive. Kudos!

As a senior in college I volunteered at a local museum cataloging their military items. One of the best they have was a WWI captains uniform with Tank Corps branch insignia. As I recall it was not attributed but I can't help thinking he worked with Patton. There weren't that many captains in the Tank Corps at that time.

G2

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks, I really appreciate the comments. When I got this, I just saw the name written inside the holster. I did a quick search and came up with a hit on the transport to France as part of the 304th. What was cool is that when I started to clean the holster up, I found the unit written on the back side and it matched exactly to the manifest record going to France. I don't think the holster was used much - likely issued prior to going overseas and I believe the 304th was disbanded rather soon after having arrived in France. Sgt. Kerr obviously "served" overseas with the MTC and so that is likely what he associated his "service" with (on the gravestone)? I had never really paid any attention to the Tank Corps from WWI and so the small exercise in researching this branch was pretty fascinating. Kind of amazing how they hodge-podged something like that together during a world war. If any one has any further info, especially on the 304th, I would appreciate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.