Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a late war p38 from a co-worker a few months back and was wondering if the rear sight on some of them were ever painted red.
The serial #'s on the barrel, slide, and frame don't match. However they have the same letter "C" prefix and the E359 proof. The flap holster is stamped dla 44 with an army test proof that has his father's name written on the inside . The spare magazine is stamped with p.38v with the letter U below, the other mag is stamped jvd and P38above the letter U. These mags appear to never have been blued.

He said that he father took it off a german soldier that he dispatched. Any help information on the painted sight would be greatly appreciated.

JED29

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
JED29,

Great story about the German soldier being "dispatched"!

Your gun is known as a 3rd variation properly "mismatched" AC 45 P.38 made from spare parts by factory workers for American GI's that occupied the Walther plant after April of 1945.

The right slide will have a single e/359 marking on it and some of the small parts are phosphated.

Here is a link to my example.

http://www.p38guns.com/AC45mismatch.htm

I am sure that for a few extra cigarettes you could have the rear sight painted red. Some of the early "0" series commercial guns had sights painted red and white from the factory.

Sounds like a nice rig, can you post a picture?

Mark

·
Registered
569 Posts
What the dad meant by 'dispatched' was that the worker accepted a couple packs of Camels in exchange for putting the gun together for him. The paint was likely done later by the GI, too. (fingernail polish?)

Orv

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.