Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a relative Luger newbie, although not new to the general era. I'm looking for additional insights into this pistol.

By all appearances, two military pistols were mated to make a new one. The frame 7555 g, the barrel, and some small parts, like safety and take-down lever, match. They were fitted with the receiver, sideplate, and toggle assembly from a second pistol. This was a 1917 DWM whose serial also ended with a 5 because in the forced-matching the last digit seems to have been left alone.

Both guns involved have Weimar police credentials. The receiver has the 1920 stamp, and thanks to Don Maus, I know that the double frontstrap marking places the frame in the service of the Schutzpolizei Berlin throughout the Weimar period.

The gun is modified for the sear safety, although the safety is gone. It was not cut for the magazine safety. The magazine is correct, but non-matching, which is to be expected.

There are no re-work stamps, arsenal stamps, or any other markings.

Any clues when this gun was put together? Post-WW I, before joining Berlin police? Later? Opinions appreciated

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,575 Posts
it is a nice looking piece with a lot of history. enjoy it...Bill

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more photo:

On top of the barrel is a mark which I took for damage until it occurred to me to use a magnifying glass. Could this be a stamping of some kind? Maybe partially struck? Seems too elaborate for just a ding.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Although I can't present any substantial proof to my theory, it looks like it was matted while in service with the Polizei or other Weimar/Third Reich military branch.
The patina is even all around and the effort to force match all the small parts of one of its halves give some credibility to theory that it is an armory rebuilt.
The marking of the barrel remembers me the Sunburst proof, typical of police guns, although from a later period (can't remember exactly as is not my expertise).
That's my guess.
Douglas

·
Copper Bullet Member
3,507 Posts
The stamp on the top of the barrel is a poorly struck Weimar acceptance stamp Eagle over either ArA4 or WaA4. It suggests the barrel of an LP08 was replaced with a 4" barrel during the Weimar era.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A follow-up question to Don or anyone else who has information on this:

Based on what I‘ve gleaned from reading older forum threads on police Lugers of this period, the ArA4 and WaA4 markings are normally found on pistols built at DWM in 1920 and 1921 for military and police. Is this a correct reading?

Then there is the fact that this presumed replacement barrel was newly serial-matched (not force matched from another number) to the frame.

Does this allow the working hypothesis that this gun was reworked/assembled (possibly at DWM) in 1920 or 1921 from two guns and a new short barrel before being allotted to the Prussian police, or are there other plausible scenarios? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Your pistol was assembled and re-numbered as you observed, quite likely by the police themselves. JMHO. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having had time to return to my pistol, I realized to my chagrin that I mis-stated something in my original post because I overlooked it. This may complicate the gun’s narrative.

I said that the gun is not cut for the magazine safety. This is not correct; only the frame is uncut. The left grip panel and bottom edge of the side plate were apparently modified.

It seems unlikely that they would modify part of the gun and then decide not to bother after all. So I think this means more likely that the modified parts came from a modified gun and were mated to the unmodified 7555g frame. This of course cannot have happened before the mid- to late 1930s when the safeties had been first installed and then discontinued.

So there would have been two major re-works. The first in 1920/21, where the gun got the short barrel (as noted by the mark identified by Don). And the second one later, maybe at a police armory; there are no other re-work stampings to be found.

Any thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts