Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had co-worker who was selling his father's guns after he passed away. None of the family members wanted them. Of the 8-10 guns he was offering, was this 1937 S/42 Luger. Since I collect military items I decided to ask about it. I own several guns of my own but (none military) thought this would be a great piece for display. I began to research it after purchasing it at what turns out to be an unbelievable price.

All numbers match including the magazine except the take-down lever. As you can see, there is alot of pitting and the grips are worn. After reading alot of the posts here as well as other sites, I realize this is just a "shooter." But that's ok. I had originally planned to just keep and display it but many of you have had these "shooters" refurbished to not only look great, but take them out to the range and enjoy them as well.

My question is can anyone recomend shops that do this and a rough idea of the costs involved?

As for the price I paid for this? $75.00 cash. Although I didn't know it then, it was a steal.

Thanks,
Larry

Download Attachment: S4201.jpg
271.98KB

Download Attachment: S4202.jpg
245.11KB

Download Attachment: S4203.jpg
239.35KB

Download Attachment: S4204.jpg
259.25KB

·
Administrator
15,522 Posts
Larry, can you provide larger pictures? From the thumbnails, it looks nice, but larger?

If pitted and is just a shooter, then yes, a professional "restore" or a good reblue would be good. Expect to pay around $400-$500 for that, tho. Amd yes, a real steal, as just parting it out would get you around $400 or so on e-bay, although guys here on the forum would pay you that as a "shooter".

And WELCOME to the forum!

Ed

·
Administrator
15,522 Posts
Dial up guys won't be, but thanks!

:)

I think it is well worth the money and you did darn good.

The pitting is enough to drop the value a lot, but a 1937 S/42 is a nice starter or display piece.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the link Pete. Based on his site it certainly looks like he would make it look good as new. I'll get in touch with him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.