Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!
I’m new here so forgive my lack of ignorance.
My father in law brought this back from WWII. My mother in law recently died and this was part of her possessions. None of us are sure what to do with it. I guess we are looking to sell it. Does it even have any value?
We are from the Detroit area. Do you have any recommendations of where to sell it or to whom?
Gun shop? Pawn shop? eBay? Here?
Any and all advice is appreciated.
Thank you in advance!
4B8BDB5A-0CC6-4073-AA30-C3A03C8BAF40.jpeg 92E336F9-F78C-4273-BFFC-EAE35F1EF86A.jpeg 78664830-291B-4CD6-9563-6B80E855694D.jpeg BB125BC8-948A-44C8-89A5-5C2B5AE6B072.jpeg A1E4AF52-CC64-4D9F-AF91-4DC5E91ACE11.jpeg
4B8BDB5A-0CC6-4073-AA30-C3A03C8BAF40.jpeg 92E336F9-F78C-4273-BFFC-EAE35F1EF86A.jpeg 78664830-291B-4CD6-9563-6B80E855694D.jpeg BB125BC8-948A-44C8-89A5-5C2B5AE6B072.jpeg A1E4AF52-CC64-4D9F-AF91-4DC5E91ACE11.jpeg 6CB1488E-A7FB-4099-B0AA-140F4F503ABC.jpeg
78664830-291B-4CD6-9563-6B80E855694D.jpeg
4B8BDB5A-0CC6-4073-AA30-C3A03C8BAF40.jpeg

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Yes the items have value.
The Walther made P.38 gun is a late war mismatched gun. Could have been assembled that way with remaining parts very near the end of the war.
The holster is for a Military Luger P.08 gun and does not belong to the P.38.
Is there a small tool inside the small pouch on the inside of the top.

Accurate values are not possible on the gun with the limited photos but we can get you in a range.
The prices are just my opinion and from knowledge of my local. Price do vary by region of the country.
The retail value of the gun, given the limited info is $650-$900
The holster has a retail value of $300 to $400
I would list them separately since they do not belong together.

Expect to deduct 30 to 40% when selling to a dealer and that would be fair. You can list the holster on eBay but not the gun. Here would be a fine place to sell both items.

Please be aware you will be getting plenty of messages looking to buy. Get all the info before committing to anything.

John

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
As said before, the holster could be sold on ebay. The P38 could be sold on gunbroker.com .That would be my choice. A pawn shop might offer you 50% of the value of the pistol, so that would not be a good place to sell it...Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As said before, the holster could be sold on ebay. The P38 could be sold on gunbroker.com .That would be my choice. A pawn shop might offer you 50% of the value of the pistol, so that would not be a good place to sell it...Bill
Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the items have value.
The Walther made P.38 gun is a late war mismatched gun. Could have been assembled that way with remaining parts very near the end of the war.
The holster is for a Military Luger P.08 gun and does not belong to the P.38.
Is there a small tool inside the small pouch on the inside of the top.

Accurate values are not possible on the gun with the limited photos but we can get you in a range.
The prices are just my opinion and from knowledge of my local. Price do vary by region of the country.
The retail value of the gun, given the limited info is $650-$900
The holster has a retail value of $300 to $400
I would list them separately since they do not belong together.

Expect to deduct 30 to 40% when selling to a dealer and that would be fair. You can list the holster on eBay but not the gun. Here would be a fine place to sell both items.

Please be aware you will be getting plenty of messages looking to buy. Get all the info before committing to anything.

John
Thank you!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would tell you the pistol in today's market is about $1000 as it sits. I would buy it for that much and I don't collect Walthers. You can see the majority of the finish is intact on both the pistol and the magazine, and given the fact that it left the factory that way, it is in excellent condition. It's an AC'45 assembled at the Walther plant. A lot of late war 'c' block guns like this left the plant mismatched after the Americans captured it. There's probably a couple of more pictures that would help, but would only increase the value. You can take the grips off and photograph the markings on the inside of them (there is a single screw to remove them in the middle of the grips). And you can break down the pistol in half and photograph the locking block. I've attached a picture of the gun broken in half (there are youtube videos on how to do this), and a picture of the locking block. You don't have to take the locking block out of the pistol...just take pictures of the sides and top of it.

I would put it on here and sell it. No fees. Have the person send you a certified check or money order. After it cashes, you'll have to take the gun down to a federal firearms licensee and have them ship it for you. Probably cost you about $50-60. The holster can be shipped without going through a licensed person.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
You have a very desirable pistol and holster. As mentioned above the P.38 even though it has mismatched numbered
parts is still a valuable piece in today's market. If all the pistol's parts had matching serial numbers it could easily be worth $1400 to $1500 or more in today's crazy market. Somebody with a lot of money to spend might even give you that much for your P.38 even with mismatched numbers. The holster isn't correct for a P.38 (it's a luger holster) could easily bring you $500 if it is all there, the leather is sound and stitching is in good shape. Isn't there anyone in your family who would like to have this valuable keep sake their fore father brought home ?? It is a shame if there isn't.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,173 Posts
(it's a Luger holster) could easily bring you $500 if it is all there, the leather is sound and stitching is in good shape. I look at Luger holsters every day of the week and twice on Sundays and I respectfully disagree. Maybe, possibly but not easily. The markings are nice but the overall curb appeal/condition just isn't there for a $500 bill.
I agree with others..this Forum will save you $20-30% in fees. On a high dollar item that's a good amount.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
You can sell the holster on eBay, but you cannot sell the gun on eBay, that is against their policy. List it here in WTS column is free. I guess that you have never handled firearm transaction before - no matter where it is listed, interstate gun transaction must go through FFL (this particular one is C&R eligible, but that is also a type of FFL), that is very important. If you feel gun transaction is too complicated, better consign it to a local gun dealer, they handle the required paperwork, but they charge a fee.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Yesterday, I chatted with my wife. She suggested me to put price tags on my items and compose descriptions so she could handle those items in future. I told her that I could do that but she should not handle those items herself, because "you don't know how to answer potential buyers' questions. I will give you a few for training purpose, you consign them to Amoskeag, get familiar with those people and their process, so you know how to proceed in future".

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would suggest sending your photos to Legacy Collectibles, they have a free appraisal and will give an estimated value and what they will send you a check for. I have had nothing but good service from them and no I do not work for them or have any connection. I sent them photo's of a gun I had recently purchased because I thought it might be more valuable than I originally thought and they promptly let me know that my gun was worth 4000 and they would pay me 3500 or I could consign it at a 15% cost. Just a suggestion and it's free

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We always forgive a "lack of ignorance"... I'm sure you meant to introduce yourself as having a new interest in your inherited P.38...

We do have a "want to sell" area for listing things for sale here on the forum. Listings must have a stated price and I'd recommend listing any terms you want to follow. We are not an auction site. Note that often members here prefer to deal with people that have been established collectors with a track record.

You can setup an account on an auction site like GunBroker for free, then use their "advanced search" to look for completed sales on similar P,38 AC45 pistols and holsters.

As mentioned, direct collector prices are about 30% higher than what you'll realize by selling to a dealer. There are a number of reputable dealers and some have been mentioned on this thread.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The long time members here have offered great feedback. I am both a collector and dealer, so I'll add:

The right side slide has only one inspections stamp. A slide which had been fully accepted by the Army would have an inspection stamp, a firing proof, and an acceptance stamp, three stamps in all. So, this gun has the highest likelihood of being a rushed assembly as the US troops closed in, or in fact assembled shortly after the US troops over ran the factory in April 1945.

You will need to arrange to ship this through a Federal Firearms Licensed dealer. It is a felony for you to send it through the mail yourself. An FFL will charge usually $35 to $65 dollars to do a licensed transfer to another licensed individual. Shipping will cost at least $25 to properly package and insure. Only a dealer can use USPS. Some dealers will say that a pistol has to go overnight at $90 or more, but that is ridiculous.

Figure near $100 to have it legally shipped. The gun is worth $800 minimum, but not more than $1,000. The holster is $250-300. If you sell the pair for $1,000 here on the forum, you are doing AOK.

A pawn shop might give you $3-400
A gun dealer might give you $5-700

If there is a family member who might be able to keep the legacy of your father in law alive, then the value is priceless to keep it rightfully as an heirloom.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with most of the great feedback offered here, however...

I know I am in the minority, but I would disagree with the notion that the holster and pistol "do not belong together". Of course, the holster is for a P.08, but since we know - or can reasonably assume - that the WWII veteran put them together, why not keep them together? I'd personally rather have the holster that the gentleman brought the pistol home with over the "correct" holster according to collector's standards.

Just my unsolicited opinion. No disrespect intended to those who disagree or see it differently.

-John

1 - 20 of 22 Posts