Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I RECENTLY CAME ACROSS A 1906 AMERICAN EAGLE AND WAS TEMPTED TO BUY. WHAT HELD ME BACK WAS THAT THE GUN HAD SMOOTH GRIPS (NO CHECKERING)WITH TWO ADDITIONAL GRIP SCREWS ON EACH GRIP. I WAS TOLD BY THE SELLER THAT IT WAS CONFIGURED FOR SOME TYPE OF SHOULDER STOCK WITH A STOCK MECHANISM THAT WOULD HAVE SLID UNDER THE GRIPS ON EACH SIDE. THE GRIPS WERE SLOTTED (CUTOUTS BETWEEN THE GRIP AND THE FRAME)HENCE THE ATYPICAL GRIPS. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS CONFIGURATION OR WAS I ABOUT TO BE "SOAKED"? ALSO WHAT IS A FAIR PRICE TO PAY FOR AN AMERICAN EAGLE? THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
The seller was not spinning a tall tale. The grips are for the Ideal shoulder stock/holster rig. It was made in the US for the Luger, and some Colts and S&W handguns. It is a relatively scarce and expensive accessory, difficult to find in good condition. The grips alone, if in excellent condition, are worth $250-$300. A 1906 American Eagle Luger will run anywhere from $400 for a "dog" to $2500 or more for a completely original pristine example. Condition and originality will determine value.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
The seller was not spinning a tall tale. The grips are for the Ideal shoulder stock/holster rig. It was made in the US for the Luger, and some Colts and S&W handguns. It is a relatively scarce and expensive accessory, difficult to find in good condition. The grips alone, if in excellent condition, are worth $250-$300. A 1906 American Eagle Luger will run anywhere from $400 for a "dog" to $2500 or more for a completely original pristine example. Condition and originality will determine value.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANKS RON FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ONE OF THESE DETACHABLE STOCKS OR DO YOU KNOW WHAT THEY MIGHT LOOK LIKE? ALSO I ASSUME THEY WERE AN "AFTERMARKET" CONFIGURATION DONE IN THE STATES? DID AN INDIVIDUAL OWNER HAVE IT DONE OR WAS THIS ORDERED BY THE MILITARY?

THANKS AGAIN,

DAVE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKS RON FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ONE OF THESE DETACHABLE STOCKS OR DO YOU KNOW WHAT THEY MIGHT LOOK LIKE? ALSO I ASSUME THEY WERE AN "AFTERMARKET" CONFIGURATION DONE IN THE STATES? DID AN INDIVIDUAL OWNER HAVE IT DONE OR WAS THIS ORDERED BY THE MILITARY?

THANKS AGAIN,

DAVE

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
Hello Dave,

Here are a couple of jpegs of the Ideal holster rig for a luger. I believe they were just USA aftermarket items that could be installed by simple grip replacements...no tooling/modifications required.

The grips should consist of a pair of metal spacers/inserts and then a pair of the smooth finished wood grips. The attachments on the holster/stock rig attached to the metal inserts on the grips.

Download Attachment: Ideal Rig.jpg
48.82 KB

Download Attachment: IdealRig.jpg
16.12 KB

Download Attachment: idealgripexamples.jpeg
57.77KB

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
Hello Dave,

Here are a couple of jpegs of the Ideal holster rig for a luger. I believe they were just USA aftermarket items that could be installed by simple grip replacements...no tooling/modifications required.

The grips should consist of a pair of metal spacers/inserts and then a pair of the smooth finished wood grips. The attachments on the holster/stock rig attached to the metal inserts on the grips.

Download Attachment: Ideal Rig.jpg
48.82 KB

Download Attachment: IdealRig.jpg
16.12 KB

Download Attachment: idealgripexamples.jpeg
57.77KB

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Pete's info is correct, these holsters and grips were a commercial aftermarket item. By BATF rules, if you have an Ideal holster, the grips may only be installed on American Eagle Lugers (1900, 1902 or 1906). Even though a 1906 Commercial Luger is identical to a 1906 American Eagle, you can not legally install an Ideal holster/shoulder stock on it!

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Pete's info is correct, these holsters and grips were a commercial aftermarket item. By BATF rules, if you have an Ideal holster, the grips may only be installed on American Eagle Lugers (1900, 1902 or 1906). Even though a 1906 Commercial Luger is identical to a 1906 American Eagle, you can not legally install an Ideal holster/shoulder stock on it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.