Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I asked a question about 1906 American Eagle proofs, which nobody came up with an answer to. So, I am going to take the bit between my teeth and try to find the answer the long way.

I am collecting data on the proofs found on American Eagle (only) versions of 1900, 1902, and 1906 Lugers. They will be most likely be Crown/BUG, lazy Crown/N, or no proof. Hopefully, the statistics will reveal something about Luger production.

Please post or send me at [email protected] , the year, serial number, and proof (or lack of proof) of any American Eagle Luger you own or observe. I will maintain the confidentiality of all participants. When I eventualy post the results they will be model, serial number, and proof only, with no connection to an individual.

The survey is best served by inclusion of the full serial number, xx's are frustrating and don't allow the statistics to completely focus the results.

I've started the process by searching the online dealer sites, and any other source I could find, which makes this information available. This is why there are some xx serial numbers. The no-serial-numbers also come from dealer sites. The Test Eagle examples are included simply because they were there--I am not trying to duplicate Ron Wood's work, but simply report the samples as they come in.

Also, if you are reporting a 1906AE, please note if it is in .30 cal. or 9mm.

Thanks very much in advance to everyone who chooses to participate.

--Dwight

-------------------------------------------------

American Eagle Proof Survey

1900 AE

nsn no

21xx no
210x no
6761 TE
7050 TE
7431 TE
86xx no
9506 no
109xx no
13452 no
13499 no
148xx no
18903 no
18982 no

1902 AE

1906 AE

nsn BUG
nsn no 9mm
nsn no
nsn c/N 9mm
nsn no
nsn c/N

265xx no 9mm
301xx no
30627 no
311xx no
315xx no
36203 no
38338 no 9mm
45791 BUG
459xx no
51xxx c/N 9mm
632xx c/N
63352 c/N
641xx c/N 9mm
670xx (proofed)

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Dwight
I have 1900 AE Test, sn 6671, no proofs and 1902 AE CC, sn 22443 no proofs. (Please if possable post serial numbers here so all the members will benefit.)
Jan

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jan,

Thanks much for the info. Absolutely I will post the results, it will probably not be for awhile as I hope to get some information from the readers of AutoMag.

--Dwight

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,118 Posts
I have 2 1906 American Eagles

#28029.....No proofs......7.65 ...4 3/4 in. barrel

#48504...B U on receiver B G U on barrel ..9mm...4 in. barrel

·
Registered
912 Posts
Dwight I have 1900 American Eagle sn 13700 GERMANY beneath the serial number on the frame. No proofs to speak of except the funny looking flaming bomb type proof in the take down well of the frame. It came to me with the nicest pair of Ideal grips I have seen but no stock. If anyone knows of a nice Ideal stock for sale please let me know.
Good luck with your research.
Jared V.

G

·
Dwight,
I have a 1900 and 1906 AE. Both are in rather rough shape, yet that's how I ended up recieving them. The 1900 sn is 19276 (one of the very last ones for 1900). 30 cal barrel 4 3/4". Serial number only on the barrel, no proofs. The front of the frame has the serial number with Germany stamped under it. The only proof I can say I've located on this one is the flaming bomb. One distinct one in the lug well. There is what appears to be a "O" on the front right bottom of the reciever (in front of the lug) and to the left of the lug is stamped a 7 and below that (even with the lug) a 2. With 276 being stamped on the bottom of the lug. On the back left side of the frame looking down into the mainspring area is a stamp that looks sort of like a capital "A" with the legs of the a going straight down after the cross slash. Hope that makes sense. The grips only show the 76 and what looks like a "9" up higher on one of them.
The grip safety comes about 3/4 of the way across the back frame, making it a wide one I think. The magazine release button is a type 2. The original mag is not present.

The 1906 AE is 9MM, serial 28368, Germany stamped under that. Flaming bomb in the lug recess, a bug proof to the left of the reciever lug and on the right what appears to be a spinning ball with 4 lines off of it. The barrel is trashed (very deep pitting and pipe wrench marks). Best I can tell only the serial number on it.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gordon,

Thanks much for the information.

The miscellaneous markings which you so thoroughly document are known as "worker's stamps", they were applied during manufacture or inspection of parts by unknown persons for unknown reasons.

It is the thumb safety lever, not the mag release, which I would like to identify--raised, checkered (type 2), or rraised, grooved (type 3). Thanks again.

--Dwight

·
Registered
239 Posts
DG,
A couple more for the data:
1900 Test #6526- no proofs.
1902 Test CC #22409- no proofs.
1902 Comm (not an Eagle, but "GERMANY" export marked) #23390- BUG proofs.
1906 AE 7.65 #31154- no proofs.
1906 AE 7.65 #54567- crown/N proofs.
An interesting project, lotsa luck.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Richard,

Thanks very much for the info. Test Eagle #6526 is known in the database. There are two Cartridge Counter #22409, reputedly one is in very used condition and the other is near-mint. 1906AE #54567 is listed in Sam Costanzo's Spy Luger book as one of the Lugers purportedly "issued" by Hans Tauscher to German agents in the US in 1913. Very glad to have independent reports of all these guns.

--Dwight

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,549 Posts
Dwight, 1900 eagle, #10052 type 2 saftey lever, germany under serial on frame, small parts # to gun. "bomb" proof in sideplate and front frame well. what looks like an 8 with two lines coming off the side at each "o" of the 8.(best I can explain)on upper in front of lug. would try to photo if needed(very small). Wide grip safety. Take down # underneath. Was hold open standard on these? I know the "B" series falls in this range, but mine is not. Is it mine was just not picked for use as one of these,or were this a totally different group of guns? Any input( or links to info) would be of intrest to me. John

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John,

Thanks very much for the info. Are there any proof marks on the left receiver or breechblock? The "bomb" is not a proof mark per se, it is generally understood to be a factory inspector's mark of unknown purpose. Sam, probably, with your odd 8 figure, although I have never seen a mark so described. Holdopen was standard on these guns.

As far as I understand, the B series of Lugers was an entirely separate serial numbering.

There are no references which deal specifically with commercial Lugers. If you pore through this Forum's Commercial Luger section (and the comparable forum at www.lugerforum.com ) You will see pretty much what is on-line. Also check out Land of Borchardts http://www.landofborchardt.com/index.html .

The books which best deal with early Commercial Lugers are the general histories, Walter's "The Luger Story" and Datig's "The Luger Pistol". Check Kenyon's "Lugers At Random" for descriptive discussions of specific models.

--Dwight

G

·
Dwight,
I am a new collector and my first purchase was a 1906 American Eagle, sn 38182, in 9mm. It has no proof marks.
Thanks for the work you are doing.
David Coonrod

·
Registered
777 Posts
Dwight,
Here is a list of the American Eagle's that are in my collection.
1900...Serial No. 6160....no proof....7.65mm
1900...Serial No. 18174...no proof....7.65mm.
1902...Serial No. 22866...no proof....9mm.
1902...Serial No. 23785...no proof....7.65mm
1906...Serial No. 25876...no proof....9mm.
1906...Serial No. 68480...Crown 'N'...7.65mm.
I hope this helps your efforts in the survey.
Bill

·
Registered
777 Posts
Dwight,
This is a revised list of the American Eagle's what you ask for.
1900...s/n 6160....no proof...narrow grip safety..2nd type thumb safety..bottom...no stamp
1900...s/n 18174...no proof....wide grip safety...3rd type thumb safety...bottom...GERMANY
1902...s/n 22866...no proof....wide grip safety...3rd type thumb safety...bottom...GERMANY
1902...s/n 23785...no proof....wide grip safety...3rd type thumb safety...bottom...no stamp
1906...s/n 25876...no proof....wide grip safety...3rd type thumb safety...bottom...GERMANY...9mm
1906...s/n 68480...Crown 'N'...wide grip safety...3rd type thumb safety...bottom...GERMANY...7.65mm
Bill

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
David and Bill,

Thanks very much for taking the time to let me know.

David, does your 1906 have GERMANY stamped on it?

Bill, please confirm that 6160 has the takedown lever stamped on the bottom, I have this gun listed as being stamped on the left face. Also, is 68480 a lazy c/N?

Thanks again for the help.

--Dwight

·
Registered
777 Posts
Dwight,
My error, the '60' is stamped on the left face.
c/N is on the left side of the forward toggle link.
Lazy c/N?? (Same crown as above the BUG proof's) {It is not BUG proofed}.
Bill

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.